Thread: How Linux Benchmarking Will Change

Default How Linux Benchmarking Will Change

Phoronix: How Linux Benchmarking Will Change

Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 (codenamed "Iveland") has been under heavy development for more than a month and there is still at least three more months left of work before this major release will be christened. Today though it is time to publicly share the first details (aside from those that learned about it in the Augustiner tent at Oktoberfest) for one of the new components to be making up a critical piece of the Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 platform: OpenBenchmarking.org.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15360

Looking fairly good there

TFA was a bit long for one page, don't you think?

It would be awesome if Phoronix had a separate site where one can easily find the best performing & supported hardware for Linux and the statistics of the difference in performance between distros.

The Phoronix website has valuable information, but unfortunately it's not always easy to find. A tag cloud would be also nice to have on the website.

Default RE: EarthMind

_________+1

It seems a rahter big improvement, but if I understood correctly it will be necessary to have an internet connection active in order to do benchmarks?

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    but if I understood correctly it will be necessary to have an internet connection active in order to do benchmarks?
    For acquiring the test profiles / suites initially, yes. If you lack Internet connectivity you can always download the files from OpenBenchmarking.org and manually transfer them to your test PC(s)...

Will there be support for systems other than x86 x64? I was thinking of PowerPC, Arm, MIPS & s390

Would be interesting if we could benchmark different versions of zOS and USS using this on the mainframe

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Will there be support for systems other than x86 x64? I was thinking of PowerPC, Arm, MIPS & s390

Would be interesting if we could benchmark different versions of zOS and USS using this on the mainframe

Mike
    There already is... You can run PTS on PowerPC and ARM just fine I know for sure. You should be able to run them on other architectures too permitting you have a PHP binary built and whatever test you wish to built is compatible with that arch.