Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to disable underscan when using kms?

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Note: Everybody who has this problem should create a bug report at somewhere that will be read, like kernel or freedesktop.
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32450

I have

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan off

in /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsetup

but I don't see that as a good long-term solution. I believe that forcing underscan on everybody is a bad design decision and I firmly reject their tyrannic Underscan World Order.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    At least you can recompile your kernel with all instances of "UNDERSCAN_AUTO" replaced with "UNDERSCAN_OFF".... but that IS a REAL PAIN.

Broken, broken, broken....
    I'm on 2.6.35.9 kernel and I could not find any lines with UNDERSCAN_AUTO or _OFF. Do you know how to remove underscan from this kernel source? (I was able to do that with 2.6.37-rc6 but I prefer 2.6.35.9 for fglrx compatibility).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ntt2010 View Post
    I'm on 2.6.35.9 kernel and I could not find any lines with UNDERSCAN_AUTO or _OFF. Do you know how to remove underscan from this kernel source? (I was able to do that with 2.6.37-rc6 but I prefer 2.6.35.9 for fglrx compatibility).
    The underscan feature wasn't added until 2.6.36.

If you're using fglrx, then you need to turn KMS off in the first place, don't you? In which case none of this is affecting you AFAIK

Hmm. Thanks for the reply.

I recently move backward from r600g+2.6.37-rc6+UNDERSCAN_OFF to fglrx+2.6.35. I got underscan problem with the later config and I don't know how to disable it. the xrandr solution is not possible in my case since I don't use X.

if you don't use X, why do you need fglrx?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyj View Post
    if you don't use X, why do you need fglrx?
    Sorry I misspoke. I meant I don't use any of the gdm/kdm/xdm login manager. It's for my HTPC box. I use mingetty+bash_profile+xinitrc to boot into X and XBMC. Unfortunately, xrandr --underscan=off command would exit X (and quit XBMC), so I could not use it.

using xrandr does not end your X session. You can add the line xrandr --underscan=off to your .xinitrc

Man, fglrx is buggy (tearing and random TV signal disconnect). I switched back to r600g and felt much better. The higher speed that fglrx provides isn't worth the setup hassle and the bugs.