Quote Originally Posted by Nevertime View Post
In Ubuntu's defence they are trying to be an entry level linux distro for converting windows users. Maybe creating a special ultra user friendly shell (If that is their ultimate goal) will help create the distro for that purpose. I'd imagine they will be facing big competion from meego at some point.
That's the problem! Unity ISN'T user friendly. You got the Meego part right. And it's not "at some point", it's now. Meego is way much better at being user friendly than Unity. I'm not sure about this, but if it is possible to install software on Meego from opensuse repositories, ubuntu looses its primary advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevertime View Post
Persuading people to switch from windows, now that windows is finally a good OS, will take a neat, slick and user friendly interface designed to course minimum confusion at every point.
Oh... I didn't realize they stopped making virus, malware, spyware and all that shit for windows now so you don't need third-party software in order to feel more secure just browsing the web and installing programs. I also didn't notice its file system becoming more reliable and faster and not suffering from loss of performance due to file fragmentation, not to mention more secure with a proper security model. When did it stop using 1GB of ram and 15GB of disk space just for the OS alone? Anyway, I don't care about windows users switching to linux. I hope they don't. I like my OS virus/crap free and I also like being able to say "Sorry, I can't help you because I haven't used windows in a long time and don't remember" when my friends have a problem with their computer.