Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Hybrid View

Default There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Phoronix: There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

The announcement of Ubuntu dropping the GNOME shell in favor of their own Unity interface that came during Mark Shuttleworth's keynote to kick off their Ubuntu 11.04 development summit has not been welcomed by many Linux users...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODcxNg

Wow, Ubuntu is falling even deeper into the realms of technical ineptitude, which I did not think was actually possible Fun !

Kubuntu/kde4 forever.

This suck's Phoronix, you're making Ubuntu look bad with this article. Most things i've read are good, yes there are lot's of people that actually think Ubuntu desktop edition will ship with the current UNE Unity. It's not.

They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology. It will be faster since it won't use that crappy Mutter window manager, they'll use the latest Compiz packages.

Gnome Shell = FAIL. I don't know anyone who likes it, not even the developers, that's why they are developing an Unity rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualspectre8 View Post
    They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology. It will be faster since it won't use that crappy Mutter window manager, they'll use the latest Compiz packages.
    If they announced this change and haven't even begun to design the interface that will be launched in 6 months then this is an even bigger fail than it appeared to be initially.

I was already planning on sitting on the LTS because they refuse to settle on any sort of base package selection (F-Spot anyone?), but this is probably enough to push me to Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    If they announced this change and haven't even begun to design the interface that will be launched in 6 months then this is an even bigger fail than it appeared to be initially.

I was already planning on sitting on the LTS because they refuse to settle on any sort of base package selection (F-Spot anyone?), but this is probably enough to push me to Debian.
    What makes you think they haven't designed a UI? They might have some super secret UI for months now, it happened with Unity Netbook, it could be the case with unity desktop. I'm sure they have concepts and designs that will evolve during development.

What makes you think they haven't designed a UI? They might have some super secret UI for months now, it happened with Unity Netbook, it could be the case with unity desktop. I'm sure they have concepts and designs that will evolve during development.
    Mainly because you said:

They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology.
    Which says that no design has occurred up to this point but by golly they'll get it done soon. God knows no other organization on this earth could slap together a usable UI in 6 months but Canonical will.

super secret UI?
    Seems ubuntu fanboys don't understand how this open community development happens. Distros work with upstream, upstream works with downstream, they communicate, they discuss, they suggest... They don't have secrets and all work together.

Only alien here is ubuntu. Those who don't know better actually think ubuntu has something with development of GNU/Linux, no, they don't, they are good only in marketing. What have they done? New crippled notifications? Hacks for
    notification applet? New font? New wallpaper? What else?

Redhat goes and hires nouveau developer, ubuntu goes and add one click install for nvidia binary driver, then later you read news and all that excitement how ubuntu (add funny codename here) will include nouveau driver...

No wonder many will leave that boat. Someone said gnome doesn't accept ubuntu modifications, how come they are accepted from all other distros but not from ubuntu? Because you don't develop secretly, you go to mailing list and suggest this, throw patch for that, discuss, that is how all we have today is made.

Just like Gnome shell; too much mouse movement and too small interface for touch screens. Hell give me a week and I'll come up with a design that's a million times better than that! (And not KDE, but something for usability idiots)

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Just like Gnome shell; too much mouse movement and too small interface for touch screens. Hell give me a week and I'll come up with a design that's a million times better than that! (And not KDE, but something for usability idiots)
    Since it's going to use Compiz and it's a desktop shell I'm pretty sure we will get lot's of keyboard shortcuts.