Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap! You Can Use XvMC With ATI Gallium3D!

Default Holy Crap! You Can Use XvMC With ATI Gallium3D!

Phoronix: Holy Crap! You Can Use XvMC With ATI Gallium3D!

It was just over the weekend that we reported XvMC and VDPAU may come to the ATI R600 Gallium3D driver that would allow those with Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000/5000 series graphics cards (what's supported by R600g) to enjoy accelerated video playback using GPU shaders beyond just the limited X-Video extension. This work was being done by Christian König and today he has one hell of a surprise: it's to the point that today you can try out the code and it should work for XvMC! Yes, that's the case, I just read the email twice and am now scurrying to test out the appropriate ATI DDX and Gallium3D driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODcxOA

Holy crap indeed.

Niiiice!

This is great news indeed!

I own a X1600pro (AGP) that for sure can handle XvMC and accelerate H.264 (720p) content.

I'm wondering if there is (or will ever be) this kind support for R500 cards?

Keep up the good work guys!

*Can't wait for h264 support! *

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    This is great news indeed!

I own a X1600pro (AGP) that for sure can handle XvMC and accelerate H.264 (720p) content.

Yeah, me too!

Default Isn't that the point of the Gallium architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    Doesn't Gallium mean that a lot of the code written for r600g will be useful to r300g automatically? So once XvMC works for r600g then implementing for r300g would be relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    Doesn't Gallium mean that a lot of the code written for r600g will be useful to r300g automatically? So once XvMC works for r600g then implementing for r300g would be relatively easy.
    I sure hope so.

Heh... and just today I ordered a broadcom bcm970015 video decoder for my new (also ordered today) ITX-sempron-Radeon4200 htpc.... at this rate, it'll be able to handle high bitrate h264 split between the unlocked dual-core sempron 140 --> athlon2-X2-215 and the RHD4200....

I wonder if my laptop has a mini-PCIe slot...? Hmm... yep. It would appear that it does. Good, at least I'll get some value out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't XvMC only accelerate mpeg2?

As in one of the formats least needing acceleration?

I understand, that it can be done and it was fairly quickly implemented, but I don't get why people are rejoicing over this. Vdpau or Va-api yes, but this?