Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 153

Thread: AMD's R300 Gallium3D Driver Is Looking Good For 2011

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    Nexuiz should be a lot faster if you enable GLSL.
    Yes, I was wondered why this Nexuiz benchmark did show regression.

    I've tested that enabling GLSL in Nexuiz on r300g brought almost twice the performance of r300 in most places, especially seen on maps/places where r300 had performance drops - tested on my RV350. The performance gain in Xonotic is visible, too.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    And I'm wondering why distro developers kill r300 driver in favour r300g.
    It's still usefull to test if r300g haven't brought regressions so there should be packages with classic Mesa drivers in main repositories, too.
    For me it's very usefull to have two drivers and few their versions in separate directories for testing. It's so simple now as disabling desktop effects and setting variable for driver preload starting game or other application.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,456

    Default

    There was discussion about including Spring RTS in another thread. The open question is whether the games have a scriptable benchmark mode.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Srpska Republic, Bosnia&Herzegovina
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeros View Post
    And I'm wondering why distro developers kill r300 driver in favour r300g.
    It's still usefull to test if r300g haven't brought regressions so there should be packages with classic Mesa drivers in main repositories, too.
    For me it's very usefull to have two drivers and few their versions in separate directories for testing. It's so simple now as disabling desktop effects and setting variable for driver preload starting game or other application.
    Agreed. A simple export command on the command line makes a difference will a windows game work or not. I still have to use classic driver, wine games simply do not work with gallium.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    131

    Default

    What about r700? Why is my GPU always left out T_T

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,456

    Default

    There is a 600g driver as well, which currently supports r6xx, r7xx and Evergreen. It started later than 300g but is catching up fast.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    There is a 600g driver as well, which currently supports r6xx, r7xx and Evergreen. It started later than 300g but is catching up fast.
    Reading the commit statements from Arlied, it sounds like r600g is supposed to be about on par with the classic driver already, and Evergreen should be pretty much working as well. I'm sure it hasn't been tested nearly as much, though, so there are probably more bugs to be found.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pejakm View Post
    Agreed. A simple export command on the command line makes a difference will a windows game work or not. I still have to use classic driver, wine games simply do not work with gallium.
    That seems fixed in master but not in 7.9:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30011
    or am I missing something?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yeah, I wrote part of the VDrift benchmarking code in the game, but It was too slow to run on the RV515.
    why not wrote a part of an spring engine benchmark code ?

    be a hero

  10. #30

    Default

    The last thing I'd like to see in the r300g driver is support for the force_s3tc_enable in .drirc/env variable. As I wrote at:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26472
    games are starting to use this trick to force the S3TC extension (when they only use decompression), and while this works perfectly with r300c it doesn't work with r300g. Forcing thousands of users to install libtxc_dxtn.so is not an easy solution (especially since distributions don't usually provide packages for it), especially if it's technically not really needed.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •