Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: AMD's R300 Gallium3D Driver Is Looking Good For 2011

Yeah, for people with a proven track record, so do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I still use two legacy cards daily,X550 fanless and X1650.
    The r530 has become my favorite for last 6 months on my main desktop for its stability, and for testing OSS drivers and Distros.
    PCI-E Radeon X1xxx and r300g is giving me what I want and will get better from what I understand.
    Now waiting for OSS to catch or surpass legacy for my HD cards this next year.

Thank You to all Open Source Stack Developers for making this to happen.

Sharky
    the radeon driver for the hd4000 and hd5000 is stable right now

i test it for you on the hd5000 card you just need an kernel higher than 2.6.36rc8 .37 runs much faster

means do don't need to wait to next year...

you can test this on cheap cards hd4350/5450

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I'm sure that a few of us can chip in if you need a r600/r700 card to work with!
    I have such a card, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    BTW, the amount and frequency of your commits significantly decreased in the past few weeks.
    If you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason for that?
    - Do you have less time?
    - Are you implementing something in a separate branch?
    - Are the current problems so difficult that it simply takes this much time to solve?
    Just less time, because I am a full-time student and on top of that I have a girlfriend. I still work on drivers as time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    What can we still expect from r300g? Will it have some more features like page flipping, hyper z, msaa which has not yet been completely implemented?
    HyperZ and MSAA are the most likely, and some new OpenGL extensions, but there is more important work to do. Page flipping does not need any code in r300g. First I want to make some tests in piglit because there are some features which we don't know if they work (I think they don't). There's some work I'd like to do in st/mesa to support more texture formats (there are needless fallbacks for some) and accelerate buffer copies (ARB_copy_buffer and ARB_pixel_buffer_object). Having one- and two-channel texture compression (3DC/LATC/RGTC) would also help to reduce bandwidth in the games which use it, e.g. ETQW. I think I am going to dedicate more time to working on st/mesa, which all gallium drivers will benefit from, so that we can better utilize some hardware features in the drivers.

Concerning HyperZ, there's at least one bug in the current implementation that might result in corrupted rendering, and also hieararchical zbuffering doesn't work on RV530 even though the hw can do it. HyperZ can be enabled by setting the environment variable RADEON_HYPERZ=1 in case you want to test it. The driver should then print "radeon: HyperZ: YES". Most bandwidth-limited applications that heavily use zbuffering *and* use it properly should be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    (3DC/LATC/RGTC) would also help to reduce bandwidth in the games which use it
    This should have been "would also help to reduce bandwidth usage in...".

**** edit time.

Can anyone enlighten me about my glxinfo output with r300g? Why are some buffers slow and the others have no caveat?

ATI's support for R200/R250 and R300 still sucks horribly.

What good is this OSS if the user has to tweak everything and have to go through pages and pages via Google to get an ancient card working (which would work fine in Windows)?

OSS, yeah, sure...

Nice of ATI to thumb its nose in the direction of Linux but claim otherwise with a bunch of sheep nodding along the way!

My RS480 works incredibly well with the r300g driver. WINE works and so has every open source Linux game I have tried (with some bugs here and there). 2D and movie playback are much better than they ever were with fglrx. No tweaks, other than enabling the appropriate ppa repo for Ubuntu. The driver is slow, which is my only real complaint now.

ATI abandons support for older cards so in time, all your cards will no longer be supported. I am tired of trying to use these older machines that run fine in XP or even 7 with the ATI driver but then support via the open source driver doesn't work anymore. You're told to create a config file for xorg which isn't supposed to be required anymore and still basic 3D doesn't work.

Opensource via ATI is a farce and a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Opensource via ATI is a farce and a joke!
    The point of open source is that the community helps. When the community just expects ATI to do all the work, it's not open source at all. You might as well use the proprietary drivers on a proprietary OS, because there you've got a huge team of people doing everything for you.

If you want the bugs for older cards fixed, you should help. Demanding that ATI do all the work means that you don't actually care about open source at all.

I get the frustration. I wish the open source drivers had full OpenGL 3.3 and top-notch performance on my hardware, which it supports on Windows. I'm not writing any code for the drivers though, so I don't get to bitch. It wouldn't be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    The point of open source is that the community helps. When the community just expects ATI to do all the work, it's not open source at all. You might as well use the proprietary drivers on a proprietary OS, because there you've got a huge team of people doing everything for you.

If you want the bugs for older cards fixed, you should help. Demanding that ATI do all the work means that you don't actually care about open source at all.

I get the frustration. I wish the open source drivers had full OpenGL 3.3 and top-notch performance on my hardware, which it supports on Windows. I'm not writing any code for the drivers though, so I don't get to bitch. It wouldn't be fair.
    Wouldn't be fair?

So, with all these ancient dinosaur machines around with M7/M6 ATI 7500, 9000, 9200, 9600 and other cards that are ONLY supported by the ATI/RADEON FOSS driver, the COMMUNITY has done nothing to have these work properly and with 3D for simple 3D-based tasks? This also means ATI/AMD has done nothing either. Nothing is provided that makes it a smooth install yet it works in Windows!

I believe there must be some connection to the kernel and xorg/xserver updates. I read about tweaks done to xorg.conf so the file is edited or created. Also, maybe settings for kms, not sure. Some distros have come up with utilities that tweak such settings or create/edit xorg.conf file. So, it's small groups that are dealing with it but it's not deal with as a whole or community-wide. So, where is the support or community? I think you just give excuses. I guess there is an indifference because the hardware is so old and not used by enough people. Just don't claim that the OSS driver support is so great, then. Thanks.