Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Server

woah that's pretty lame, hopefully it was just a dud unit, not a good look though.

I've read reports of the other small ARM plugs overheating. They really should improve the cooling.

Where's the multimedia encoding benches? :P

How well could this act as a PXE/NFS mount server for 30 PC's or so?

I'm writing a proposal for my English class. It's going to suggest some ways for my university to save some bandwidth. One of the suggestions, if the proper way couldn't be done, is to segment the network by placing a cheap, low powered server in the classrooms and labs. Hopefully it'll allow more control over installing software if the lab computers load the OS over the network and controlling some of the bandwidth.

Can this fit that niche well? I know an Atom processor could be used instead, but this is the only low-powered server I know of that has two NICs built in. Ordering custom parts will probably be more expensive than just ordering one of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardok View Post
    Can this fit that niche well? I know an Atom processor could be used instead, but this is the only low-powered server I know of that has two NICs built in. Ordering custom parts will probably be more expensive than just ordering one of these things.
    I'd say it would work, as long as the overheating problems are fixed. And by the way, there are Atom servers even smaller than this, and including 2xGbitNICs. One was actually reviewed here on Phoronix:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...b_fitpc2&num=1

(the version there only has one NIC, but the fit-PC2i has two).

Only problem with that system is that's very unreliable, it also has overheating problems (I bought one and am in the process of RMA'ing it) and the WiFi is a linux-unfriendly RaLink with no AP support.

I seems heat is a big problem with these devices, and they were not tested properly under load scenarios, even if they are marketed for "industrial" applications :-/ Maybe the next generation will actually work?

yeah quite a let down, unless Michael just got a bad batch? *shrugs*

I'm also curious what happened with the unit.

All these devices seem to suffer from bad design (Guruplug server+ is in the same situation) and fail due to overheating. Which is really sad.

Hi Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Actually had a VIA Eden I was going to compare the performance to, but I may have killed the B3 this morning from overheating after running 12 hours worth of compiler tests on it... Still investigating.
    This sounds very strange. We have had no heat problems during our testing. Could you perhaps contact me so we could dig deeper into this?

/Tor

yeah a round two perhaps?!

Quote Originally Posted by wirrbeltier View Post
    (stupid 1 minute edit limit... grr)
    Just saw that there's an option to download the OS images from your site, or even buying them preloaded on a USB stick. There's also source code for the Bubba2, but not for the B3... Is a source download for the B3 planned anytime soon?
    The source code for B3 is available, all packages except kernel packages has source packages in our repository, http://b3.update.excito.org Kernel sources are available here, http://download.excito.net/kernel/Excito_B3/

/Tor