Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Excito B3 Mini ARM Powered Server

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkrill View Post
    The source code for B3 is available, all packages except kernel packages has source packages in our repository, http://b3.update.excito.org Kernel sources are available here, http://download.excito.net/kernel/Excito_B3/

    /Tor
    Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on selling disk-less systems?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I second that.

    While the nice interface of the Excito B3 suggests it is directed to a more mainstream, not necessarily very technical audience, the fact that it also allows unrestricted access via SSH means users are given the choice to basically customize it the way they want.

    The systems including the disk are definitely a good option for those that don't want to worry about purchasing a disk on their own, but, at the same time, I think there are users who would like to have that option, so the option to buy a diskless system wouldn't hurt.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi,

    Regarding disk-less systems. We currently does not have that option. This due to two things.

    The setup as it is,for now, results in the factory delivering all units prepackaged with a disk. Thus if we where to ship units without the disk we have to manually alter this with a lot of manual work for us.

    This of course could be changed in future production batches, but for now this is a problem.

    The other, and possibly more problematic issue, is that this would leave us out of control on what disks people put into the unit and how they do this. The fact is that there is quite some difference on disks with regard to power consumption could result in the disk overheating in the unit.

    We ship all units with WD green power disks which runs with very moderate power consumption. This setup plus the fact that we use the entire casing as a heat pad with heat conducting materials between the disk and casing results in us not having the same problems many other similar constructions suffer.

    But with all that said we do see demand for a disk-less configuration and are reevaluating this decision.

    /Tor

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Motherboard

    Any idea where I could by a Mini-ITX motherboard with an ARM processor and 4 SATA ports? For one of these: http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite...ail.php?sku=79

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I was trying to move my firewall/web servers to low powered Shevaplugs, but they died after 6 month and 1 year. 24/7 usage but in no way running full tilt.

    Went back to my Via C3 boxes, which has been running 24/7 for many years now.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheemosabe View Post
    Any idea where I could by a Mini-ITX motherboard with an ARM processor and 4 SATA ports? For one of these: http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite...ail.php?sku=79
    Good question. Unfortunatelly I don't think there are any. If anyone knows otherwise I would also like to know.

    PS: Those Chenbro cases are awesome \m/

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkrill View Post
    Hi,

    [...]
    The other, and possibly more problematic issue, is that this would leave us out of control on what disks people put into the unit and how they do this. The fact is that there is quite some difference on disks with regard to power consumption could result in the disk overheating in the unit.

    We ship all units with WD green power disks which runs with very moderate power consumption. This setup plus the fact that we use the entire casing as a heat pad with heat conducting materials between the disk and casing results in us not having the same problems many other similar constructions suffer.

    But with all that said we do see demand for a disk-less configuration and are reevaluating this decision.
    /Tor
    Thanks for giving insight into your plans. In my view, the freedoms offered by an adapted debian installation could be well complemented by the freedom to install own disks. People who know how to ssh into a remote installation generally also tend to want to mess with the hardware, and therefore could be more aware of the risks of overheating etc.
    I wouldn't mind if you slapped a big red "I understand the risks" sticker on diskless devices, or a chart stating max values for power consumption/heat production, or something saying "if you mess with our construction, you do so at your own risk, so don't expect easy RMAs".

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Helsinki
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Hey, it would be nice if we were kept up to date on this overheating problem. I'm interested in low-power systems like the Bubba and it would be good to know more about the possibilities and limitations.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Actually had a VIA Eden I was going to compare the performance to, but I may have killed the B3 this morning from overheating after running 12 hours worth of compiler tests on it... Still investigating.
    Any news on that?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Nice RAID boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Good question. Unfortunatelly I don't think there are any. If anyone knows otherwise I would also like to know.

    PS: Those Chenbro cases are awesome \m/
    Haven't found a standalone ARM + 4 SATA mobo but I found a couple of really nice integrated RAID enclosures:

    http://www.cooldrives.com/ra4xhddto1331.html
    http://www.cooldrives.com/ra4xhddto133.html

    They seem to be using this chip (ARM CPU and SATA controller in one?):

    http://www.plxtech.com/products/consumer/oxufs936qse

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •