Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Well, Here's A Preview Of The Ad-Free Phoronix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,431

    Default Well, Here's A Preview Of The Ad-Free Phoronix

    Phoronix: Well, Here's A Preview Of The Ad-Free Phoronix

    This morning on Phoronix you may notice that there are no ads being served on Phoronix and you are able to view entire articles on a single page. Well, this is a preview of Phoronix Premium...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODczMQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I subscribe to Premium, and am happy to have the ads gone and single page articles. However, I'm not happy with the hoops I have to jump through to get that.
    If premium would change so that logins last more then a day, it would be worth it, but as is I probably won't be renewing.

    For those who don't know, the website does not handle logins. You have to visit the forums and go back to the website to properly login.

    There are a few other options (special URLs to login, special feeds that take you to the forum instead of the article you want to read) but there is no decent way to click through a feed straight to premium if you haven't visited in the last day.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Oh, no adds I like it!
    But why don't you just keep it simple and add one text based google add? And another way might be to add a "donate to phoronix" link since i think that will even get you more money then those adds. I certainly never click on the adds becuase it's hardly ever something i'm interested in... And annoying flashing adds that say things like "we choose you" or "You're a potential winner" only encourage me to less frequently visit phoronix...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    Oh, no adds I like it!
    But why don't you just keep it simple and add one text based google add? And another way might be to add a "donate to phoronix" link since i think that will even get you more money then those adds. I certainly never click on the adds becuase it's hardly ever something i'm interested in... And annoying flashing adds that say things like "we choose you" or "You're a potential winner" only encourage me to less frequently visit phoronix...
    It's extremely unlikely that a donation button + a single Google ad would generate more revenues than the current ad structure... Even the current donation link brings in little revenue. To the point in which Phoronix.com would probably be shutdown within a month if going to solely Google ads.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    599

    Default

    The Phoronix forums are currently unusable, I was getting a blank page all the time until I blocked these two sites:
    *.collective-media.net*
    *.scorecardresearch.com*

    I guess the first one caused the trouble.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    Phoronix forums are currently unusable, I was getting a blank page all the time until I blocked these two sites:
    *.collective-media.net*
    *.scorecardresearch.com*

    I guess the first one caused the trouble.
    Yeah, unfortunately, (it's the second one) but the issue should be fixed monetarily...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    the issue should be fixed monetarily...
    Pun intended?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dargllun View Post
    Pun intended?
    Nope, bad typo when writing more emails to the ad company with more complaints...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's extremely unlikely that a donation button + a single Google ad would generate more revenues than the current ad structure... Even the current donation link brings in little revenue. To the point in which Phoronix.com would probably be shutdown within a month if going to solely Google ads.
    Are those annoying adds bring in that much money for you to keep the site running? I honestly can't imagine anyone clicking on it...

    I even think i saw microsoft advertisements on phoronix once and i'm certainly not gonna clink on that!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    Are those annoying adds bring in that much money for you to keep the site running? I honestly can't imagine anyone clicking on it...

    I even think i saw microsoft advertisements on phoronix once and i'm certainly not gonna clink on that!
    For the tier-one ads, Phoronix Media is not paid by click at all but rather by impression.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •