No announcement yet.

Pink & green output on HDMI with KMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot something that you reminded me of... turning the TV off and on fixes it also -- not just a reboot of the computer. That would be the same as your reset button.

To be honest, the problem wasn't so troubling that it was worth it for me to spend lots of hours diagnosing it -- little bit less important on mine since it generally started up ok and only broke after I would typically be done using it anyway. It was also a little weird and left me in the dark a little in that before today, I had never heard of anyone else having the same problem. I really doubt that the EDID could be responsible for this, otherwise you would expect other devices to exhibit this problem as well, but so far, it appears to be isolated to the 3650 rather than the TV... and seems to be quite specific to the 3650.

Also sorry to say that it isn't likely that I'll be able to find the motivation to work on this more since I'm retiring that machine for a new 785G/HD4200 mini-ITX... which I'm guessing, won't have this issue.

Comment

Update on this:
      It is ***NOT*** isolated to the 3650.
      I'm getting EXACTLY the same thing from the 4200 on a bone-stock Fedora 14 as the 3650 was doing. TV changing inputs makes it go pink and green.

Comment

Pink & green? Same problem with Nouveau and a 2560x1600 monitor over DVI.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Interesting... a specific monitor? Or monitors of that resolution in general? If this is the same problem rather than just a similar symptom, then it might indicate something a little deeper than the specific hardware involved. Something weird in common KMS code.

If it is the same glitch, this would tend to rule out Alex's theory about the HDMI AUDIO (I admit to having not tested that theory yet...) for a few reasons; 1) DVI monitor won't have HDMI audio input most likely, 2) HDMI audio paths are different in nouveau, 3) nouveau doesn't even support HDMI audio.

darkbasic: is this your equipment? or are you referencing something you read/heard?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Interesting... a specific monitor? Or monitors of that resolution in general?
            I don't know because I own only one 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            darkbasic: is this your equipment? or are you referencing something you read/heard?
            Yes, the equipment is mine but it will be very difficult to provide any more test because it's my Xeon production server and currently even KMS is disabled
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              I don't know because I own only one 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

Yes, the equipment is mine but it will be very difficult to provide any more test because it's my Xeon production server and currently even KMS is disabled
              What is the manufacturer and model number of the monitor? I'd like to look up the specs. Also, could you try out the monitor on some other machines for experimental purposes? I.e., on a few different machines with different graphics cards (nv, amd, even intel if you have...). It would be nice if we could isolate where the problem is, for example, if that monitor works perfectly on amd and intel cards, then it would suggest a different problem that coincidentally has the same symptoms.

Comment

Pink and green sounds like the TV is switching to YUV mode rather than RGB when you change the input.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Pink and green sounds like the TV is switching to YUV mode rather than RGB when you change the input.
                  So..
                  How do we fix it?
                  Is this something that is only exhibited by this output device because the other output devices (i.e. DVR) typically output YUV? Can we put the Radeon into YUV? Can we do something to force the TV into RGB? Can we detect the input switching from the radeon driver? Why doesn't UMS exhibit this issue (see OP)?

Comment

I'm not really an hdmi expert, but I suspect disabling HDMI audio would do the trick. When hdmi audio is enabled, the driver sends a bunch of stream info packets in addition to the audio packets. I suspect one of them is formatted wrong which confuses the TV. UMS does not support hdmi audio so the packets are never sent.

Comment

So to fix it, I suspect you'd need to disable the non-audio packets, or set them properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X