I have an asus a8j laptop with core 2 duo 1.66ghz and gf7300. Software
is ubuntu fiesty 7.04 x86-64 (linux 2.6.20) and nvidia drivers 9755. I tested
some opengl apps and wonder low framerate. I decided to compare linux vs
windows performance on my laptop. In windows i installed dx9 and nvidia
85.06 drivers (don't found newest version). Downloaded from
http://ioquake3.org/ windows and 64 bit linux version of quake3
binaries, also using the same pak0.pk3 file. Results:
Win2k: 640/normal - 480fps, 1024/allmax - 215fps
Linux: 640/normal - 320fps, 1024/allmax - 150fps
For exclude cpu i tested also compressing with lame 3.97:
Win2k - 24s. Linux - 26s.
Lame in windows is a little faster, but not 40%.
1. Latest 2.6.21 kernel, whithout any drivers/modules, only that needed
too boot my system and launch ogl app.
2. Performance governon on cpu instead ondemand.
3. Cheking via nvidia-settings that gpu and mem frequency in 3d tasks
switching to 350/700.
4. 9631 nvidia drivers version.
5. Disabling composite extension.
Oh don't know what that may be, look like some kind of powersave
Also i found friends with asus laptops like my - asus lamborghini vx1
and w7j (gentoo/2.6.20/9755) - all have low framerate.