Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

Default At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

Phoronix: At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

Just a few hours ago we reported on the progress by those within the Phoronix community working to get the Steam client running as much as possible based upon Valve's Steam Linux binaries that are inconspicuously housed on their servers. By making some modifications to the Steam client binary and libraries, as of this morning they are up to the point of displaying the main Steam UI window. Just hours after that, the Steam Friends' UI is now being partially drawn along with other windows...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODIzMA

nice...but the only one who actually "ports" steam to linux is the phoronix community (or parts of them). Not Valve. I doubt that there ever was a "real" linux client. Instead I believe that from the beginning, ppl were hacking the mac client and ported it to linux...

Ahhh... people just has too much time to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    nice...but the only one who actually "ports" steam to linux is the phoronix community (or parts of them). Not Valve. I doubt that there ever was a "real" linux client. Instead I believe that from the beginning, ppl were hacking the mac client and ported it to linux...
    come one.. there is a linux clind! and valve support linux.

but apple pays valve to be 'the first'

ok? wait for the apple is the 'first' after that you get your linux clind but not 'First' linux is just second!

same on Starcraft2 there is a nativ macos clind.. and windows clind

but? how cares? the windows beta runs nearly perfect in wine.

Linux do not need a nativ clind "First" linux only need a second good clind ;-)

things chance in time and this time Microsoft lose!

Incorrect. Linux needs "real" solutions and software not badly ported stuff which is held together by tons of duct tape and crumbles as soon as blow upon it.

By the way... who needs a sucking steam client when there is Desura. Requires just the Linux client but they have it planed for once the client itself is stable.

And how do you think id software started porting their titles to Linux and where the GPL open sourcing came from?

Right, except that you can download the binaries from Valve and confirm for yourself that they are ELF?

Just because it's ELF doesn't make it a "real" linux client.

It makes it a real Linux binary, not a Mac one.