• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    So will we lose the ability to do:
    ssh -X
    with Wayland?

If yes then I'd like to stick to xserver...
    mark replied somewhere in the comments of his blog that there is going to be network accessibility but not network transparency (no networking stuff in the wayland protocol)

Originally posted by Mark on his blog
    "There are issues with Wayland, but they seem to be solveable, we?d rather be part of solving them than chasing a better alternative. So Wayland it is."
    anyone know what issues he is talking about???

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
      I agree, I think terminal as a failsafe is even more important today and tomorrow where the UI is going to be accelerated.
      on Windows it is easy to launch terminal from graphic (VGA) mode, if you want it. Difference is this: On Ubuntu you are booted to terminal and there is no easy way to see desktop, at least in VESA mode. I am trying to see this transision from perspective of MILLIONS of existing users (and hopefully many more to come) rather then from my own perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
        on Windows it is easy to launch terminal from graphic (VGA) mode, if you want it. Difference is this: On Ubuntu you are booted to terminal and there is no easy way to see desktop, at least in VESA mode. I am trying to see this transision from perspective of MILLIONS of existing users (and hopefully many more to come) rather then from my own perspective.
        If people want things done the windows way, they'll use windows.

Comment

Don't underestimate the benefits of a VESA mode, it may not give you in particular much but I think it's pretty much required for a general desktop machine. At least before Linux can become popular with the non-technical crowd.

You and I might be able to fix everything from the console, but the general user isn't going to have a clue what to do. Their only course of action is to start a browser and go to google or a forum somewhere to get help, and they only know how to do that from a graphical environment. So they're stuck unless they've got a 2nd computer lying around, something which i don't think you can always rely on.

Comment

BTW, what's wrong with current implementation of VESA fallback in Xorg which works pretty well (for me) at least in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Define 'properly'. Certainly, the average application should be unaffected, if it uses a standard toolkit like Qt or Gtk, and uses *only* that toolkit. But what if it needs to do something clever? Is the chat client "not properly written" because it uses the standard X screen saver API to recognise when the user is away from the keyboard?
              There are DBus channels for such things.

Comment

once more Shuttleworth played with the media to generate hype and once more phoronix failed for it.

Comment

whats your problem with ubuntu dude? .....

Comment

the hype? the hype started when ubuntu wasn't even released. And since then everything ubuntu does is sold to the media as new, ground breaking and awesome.

While most of the time they just copy something from some other distro.

Are not even good at it.

And it isn't even noteworthy.

And then ubuntards flock together to a great circle jerk on every linux related site.

Comment

dumb? cmon...

Comment

Working...
                      X