Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: In what linux distro ATI + Linux won't be tearing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12

    Question In what linux distro ATI + Linux won't be tearing?

    Hi,
    I have a problem vith my ATI Mobillity Radeon HD 530v. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but I can't get rid of video tearing. Do you know about any Linux distro which will work better with my 530v?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argonisius View Post
    Hi,
    I have a problem vith my ATI Mobillity Radeon HD 530v. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed, but I can't get rid of video tearing. Do you know about any Linux distro which will work better with my 530v?
    There isn't one. The Catalyst driver doesn't support VSync for Xv video. Your options are:

    * Use GL for video and enable VSync in CCC and either only watch in fullscreen mode or disable compositing to also have tear-free video in windows.

    * Switch to the open source ati driver by installing the latest kernel and X.Org graphics stack from appropriate repositories. I don't know where you can info about those repos; ask around or Google.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Do you know if they're planing to add this feature?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argonisius View Post
    Do you know if they're planing to add this feature?
    I don't think so. I guess an AMD dev could provide the answer here (though I bet it will be something like "we will look into whether we will think about considering it".)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't think so. I guess an AMD dev could provide the answer here (though I bet it will be something like "we will look into whether we will think about considering it".)
    Right. How long has that been an issue (i.e. bug/function not working), btw? Also, another question is how long are they going to 'look into it?'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    There isn't one. The Catalyst driver doesn't support VSync for Xv video. Your options are:

    * Use GL for video and enable VSync in CCC and either only watch in fullscreen mode or disable compositing to also have tear-free video in windows.

    * Switch to the open source ati driver by installing the latest kernel and X.Org graphics stack from appropriate repositories. I don't know where you can info about those repos; ask around or Google.
    OK. Setting to GL is in aticonfig? Will there be any difference in performance?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argonisius View Post
    OK. Setting to GL is in aticonfig?
    No, selecting GL for video output is done in your media player. I don't know which one you're using, so I can't tell you how If you're using SMPlayer, which what I'm using myself, then you do that in "Options->Preferences->General->Video tab->Output driver". There you select "gl2 (yuv)" in the drop-down list and restart SMPlayer.

    Enabling VSync for GL is done in CCC (Catalyst Control Center). It's a GUI tool that comes with the Catalyst driver, so it should be somewhere in your applications start menu.

    Will there be any difference in performance?
    GL could be a bit faster, but nothing really noticeable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argonisius View Post
    Do you know if they're planing to add this feature?
    they wana try to fix this after the new direct2D acceleration is bugfixed means after catalyst 10.10

    the 10.11 catalyst is a crazy stranger this one do have bug fixes for software that should not exist.

    this is really new most of the time amd only bugfix software that exist and is released.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Re: why is xv not vsync'ed yet:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=118

    as always, any resemblance to the stuff Q just said is purely coincidental.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    No, selecting GL for video output is done in your media player. I don't know which one you're using, so I can't tell you how If you're using SMPlayer, which what I'm using myself, then you do that in "Options->Preferences->General->Video tab->Output driver". There you select "gl2 (yuv)" in the drop-down list and restart SMPlayer.

    Enabling VSync for GL is done in CCC (Catalyst Control Center). It's a GUI tool that comes with the Catalyst driver, so it should be somewhere in your applications start menu.


    GL could be a bit faster, but nothing really noticeable.
    I'm using default Ubuntu 10.04 video player.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •