Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

Default Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

Phoronix: Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

Just earlier today we reported that Wayland is becoming compatible with Nouveau so that users of this open-source NVIDIA driver can begin using this alternative, lightweight display server that leverages the latest Linux graphics technologies. About the only caveat right now is the needed Nouveau page-flipping support, which is here for some hardware but not in the mainline Linux kernel yet and the page-flipping hook-up for the newer NVIDIA GPUs is coming soon. Kristian Høgsberg, the creator of Wayland, also made another announcement today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODczNQ

To think it would have been faster to write Wayland over X11...

How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickabouille View Post
    That actually defeats 99% of the purpose of Wayland.

Plus, interestingly enough, all of the "extra work" needed to make Wayland run on its own is work that a Wayland-free X11 server also needed done to do all those fancy modern graphics compositing accelerated root-less doohickies you kids want.

Does anyone know what the X.org folks think about Wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickabouille View Post
    That makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?
    It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.

Default Woah

This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

I wonder if it is time for the Wine developers to consider moving from X to a portable backend like Qt or Cairo, which not only would enable games on Wayland, directfb or whatever while still possible to run on X11. It would also enable running "standard" Wine on OSX with no X11 dependencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Elv13 View Post
    It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.
    Are you sure about that? I don't think KWin was ever ported, it was just the plasma shell (running with the normal windows window manager) and I thought I remembered reading at the time that there was no plan to port over Kwin because it was heavily, heavily dependent on X, and because most people just would want plasma anyway.