Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiler Benchmarks Of GCC, LLVM-GCC, DragonEgg, Clang

Hybrid View

Default Compiler Benchmarks Of GCC, LLVM-GCC, DragonEgg, Clang

Phoronix: Compiler Benchmarks Of GCC, LLVM-GCC, DragonEgg, Clang

LLVM 2.8 was released last month with the Clang compiler having feature-complete C++ support, enhancements to the DragonEgg GCC plug-in, a near feature-complete alternative to libstdc++, a drop-in system assembler, ARM code-generation improvements, and many other changes. With there being great interest in the Low-Level Virtual Machine, we have conducted a large LLVM-focused compiler comparison at Phoronix of GCC with versions 4.2.1 through 4.6-20101030, GCC 4.5.1 using the DragonEgg 2.8 plug-in, LLVM-GCC with LLVM 2.8 and GCC 4.2, and lastly with Clang on LLVM 2.8.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15422

What happened there at graphics magic tests? Do the newer gccs utilize OpenMP that much better?

While LLVM/Clang is not yet decisively faster than GCC, it is continuing to make great progress and does boast a different feature-set and focus from the GNU Compiler Collection.
    this template footer found in nearly every phoronix article, sounds like "please disregard this article, it's going to be obsolete soon"

quite nice.
    it seems llvm likes c-ray but no chess.
    what id like to see now is a linux kernel (compiled with these different compilers) performance benchmark.

a thing that bothers me aswell is the fact that there are being "regressions found" on intel cpu whereas there is a huge performance improvement on AMD (or vice versa). maybe one should take this into account when looking for regressions. as far as i remember there have only been benchmarks with intel hardware...
    and as the graphs show there really are some interesting splits in performance with different hardware

Quote Originally Posted by jakubo View Post
    quite nice.
    it seems llvm likes c-ray but no chess.
    what id like to see now is a linux kernel (compiled with these different compilers) performance benchmark.
    Last I heard, can't be done with llvm.

Sorry, that was ambiguous. As in, Linux kernel compiling can't be done with llvm.

I may have missed it but what optimizations were used for these tests (especially for gcc)?

Code:
    -march=native -mtune=native -fomit-frame-pointer -O3
    More, less?

-mtune=native is redundant if you're using -march=native.
    -fomit-frame-pointer breaks debuggability in x86.
    -O3 has bugs and might slow down run-time in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    -mtune=native is redundant if you're using -march=native.
    -fomit-frame-pointer breaks debuggability in x86.
    -O3 has bugs and might slow down run-time in many cases.
    -O3 has been stable to compile with for ages, I can't recall having encountered any program that compiles with -O2 which has problems with -O3 in years. Also I haven't encountered any cases where -O3 is slower than -O2 in ages, so obviously these tests should be done with -O3, especially since that's where most of the new optimizations will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    -O3 has been stable to compile with for ages, I can't recall having encountered any program that compiles with -O2 which has problems with -O3 in years. Also I haven't encountered any cases where -O3 is slower than -O2 in ages, so obviously these tests should be done with -O3, especially since that's where most of the new optimizations will end up.
    These benchmarks disagree:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7574/2/