Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fedora Plans For Wayland

Hybrid View

Default The Fedora Plans For Wayland

Phoronix: The Fedora Plans For Wayland

In recent days we have been talking a lot about Ubuntu's plans to deploy the Wayland Display Server and the new Wayland activity, NVIDIA's plans to not support Wayland, and John Carmack's interests to support Wayland, but that isn't the only solution in the world. Red Hat's Adam Jackson has addressed the Fedora plans to support Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODc4MA

I guess we're the peanut gallery

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    I guess we're the peanut gallery
    The sad thing is that the "peanut gallery" will be right for some years after the switch happens. We saw that with pulse, which totally sucked balls for a long time after distributions hopped on board. Hell some distributions even switched away from it as a default. (Although, amusingly, they switched away from it just as it was getting good enough for normal use.)

I'd just assume not have every distribution jump the gun on this. Let the Ubuntu kids play with it for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Let the Ubuntu kids play with it for a bit.
    That will only serve to leave with a horrible reputation.

The sad thing is that the "peanut gallery" will be right for some years after the switch happens. We saw that with pulse, which totally sucked balls for a long time after distributions hopped on board. Hell some distributions even switched away from it as a default. (Although, amusingly, they switched away from it just as it was getting good enough for normal use.)
    Huh? Just because ubuntu couldnt stick with the defaults and decided to severely break it doesn't mean that there was something particularly wrong. Fedora switched to PA for F8. F8 was a disaster (for lots of reasons, most of which do NOT involve PA), by F9, PA was ready. That's just SIX MONTHS.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Huh? Just because ubuntu couldnt stick with the defaults and decided to severely break it doesn't mean that there was something particularly wrong. Fedora switched to PA for F8. F8 was a disaster (for lots of reasons, most of which do NOT involve PA), by F9, PA was ready. That's just SIX MONTHS.
    And that's why there are howtos still being written for current versions of Fedora, Ubuntu, and etc? Google will be happy to tell you how to disable/remove it for current distribution releases. It's not exactly an obscure thing to search for. (And you'd think there'd be no problems from Fedora with the lead developer working at Red Hat to begin with.) By volume there are more articles about disabling it than fixing it. If it were just a matter of changing a few bad defaults, you'd think more would leave it enabled.

The PA fan base likes to pretend there was no problems with PA, just a handful of bad defaults from distributions and a shit ton of "bad" applications. Just outright ignore that 0.9.7-->0.9.21 happened and many of those same bad binaries work much better with PA now than PA then.

The notion that PA hasn't matured any should be insulting to a PA fan. Any fan that thinks it was perfect form inception is just mindless. Just as mindless are those that won't give PA a chance now because of problems back then. Like I said, it's now "good enough."

Some problems with PA, some with distributions, some with applications. Overall it took "some years" for it all to happen. I doubt it will be any different with Wayland should it actually come about. Their will be lots of articles telling you how to switch it off. Their will be lots of fans calling any applications that don't work on it critically "broken." (Which will mysteriously unbroke themselves as Wayland matures.) And some years later it will be "good enough." No doubt, some will have insisted it all worked great the whole time with ONLY distributions, users, applications, drivers, and everything else under the sun (except Wayland) to blame.

Hopefully, in the end, Wayland will be worth it like PA is now.

Hopefully, in the end, Wayland will be worth it like PA is now.
    Me, I hope Wayland will be nothing like PA. Because it still isn't worth much.

okay, now there's a 75% chance that a headline will pertain to wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by snuwoods View Post
    Yeah, it's getting predictable. Perhaps we should go back to 'steam client for linux' for a couple of weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by snuwoods View Post
    I don't want to hurt your feelings but nobody cares if you don't find every (or any) articles on Phoronix interesting.