After the fight Linus vs Lennart (kernel vs user) at the end Lennart implemented the same thing the patch does in systemd (check out latest commit).
If the requisite is :
The latency improves only by isolating tasks in containers (cgroups)In think Systemd acheives this in the right way:
- all is configurable (with pam-systemd you can choose whatever controller you like (cpu, memory, block by which every user isolate his tasks);
- systemd knows better what is a session (the kernel doesn't even know it);
- anytime, you can see what is going on (do a pstree on /sys/fs/cgroup);
I would like to point out that this great work comes from the following history:
- Con Kolivas sd scheduler;
- Ingo Molnar cfs scheduler;
- Ingo introduce Paul Menage cgroups in cfs scheduler;
- Mike Galbraith in-kernel autogrouping based on cfs-cgroup scheduler;
- Lennart Pottering autogrouping in user-space (systemd);
This is a great story of success.
Thanks to all people involved