Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    there is some drama... eh discussion in the mailing list and people (including Torvalds) referred to the phoronix forums
    Hi Linus! Can you please arrange with an unofficial kernel repo for Fedora? Det vore verkligen jättesnällt :-)

Default How do I get it to work?

I'm a noob (at least compared to most phoronix readers), I *really* need this patch on my computer, I'm not crying for a ppa, but need a clue as to how to go about this with the command line.

I'll follow
    http://linuxtweaking.blogspot.com/20...untu-1004.html
    which was recommended earlier in this thread, but where do I get the patch, & where/how should I apply it given I follow those instructions? Please give me a command line code to copy/paste, & tell me when to use it. Then I'll have an idea of how to patch kernels.
    (I'm using Ubuntu UNR 10.10, the article is for 10.04, but I doubt it's materially different).

Noobish thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
    I'm a noob (at least compared to most phoronix readers), I *really* need this patch on my computer, I'm not crying for a ppa, but need a clue as to how to go about this with the command line.

I'll follow
    http://linuxtweaking.blogspot.com/20...untu-1004.html
    which was recommended earlier in this thread, but where do I get the patch, & where/how should I apply it given I follow those instructions? Please give me a command line code to copy/paste, & tell me when to use it. Then I'll have an idea of how to patch kernels.
    (I'm using Ubuntu UNR 10.10, the article is for 10.04, but I doubt it's materially different).

Noobish thanks,
    It's the same for 10.10.
    You apply the patch (before running make-kpkg) using:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < patch-file-name-here
    However the patch from the mailing list won't work with the ubuntu kernel, because some things have been moved to different places, so you have to change those manually (no big deal, only around 3 lines of code if I remember correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by korpenkraxar View Post
    Hi Linus! Can you please arrange with an unofficial kernel repo for Fedora? Det vore verkligen jättesnällt :-)
    Hmm should i be concerned that I understood that?!

PS: Don't forget to turn on the CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP setting, which is of course the whole point of this patch.

... damn 1min edit limit

Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    However the patch from the mailing list won't work with the ubuntu kernel, because some things have been moved to different places, so you have to change those manually (no big deal, only around 3 lines of code if I remember correctly)
    Where/how can I find out which lines to move & where to move them?

And how do I turn it on?

Thanks unimatrix

it will create a file containing the rejected hunks

you can turn it on by editing the .config file changing the line

CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP to y

Apply the patch. It's going to tell you where it failed, then look into the patch file and use it to find where the lines starting with a + belong (not all, only those that fail) and copy them to the appropriate files.

To enable the patch setting you just need to press 'y' when u run make-kpkg the first time, because it's going to ask you what to do with it.

Also forgot to mention, you should apply this patch as well:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/505420
    My compile failed due to this the first time.

ah this patch just fails to compile...i tried compiling with the default fedora config too, and its still giving me this error:
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `put_signal_struct':
    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/kernel/fork.c:178: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_exit'
    kernel/built-in.o: In function `copy_signal':
    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/kernel/fork.c:909: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_fork'
    kernel/built-in.o.data+0x1b58): undefined reference to `sysctl_sched_autogroup_enabled'
    drivers/built-in.o: In function `__proc_set_tty':
    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/drivers/tty/tty_io.c:3163: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_create_attach'
    any idea?

The patch probly isn't being applied properly.