Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Genode OS Now Has A LiveCD Demo With Gallium3D

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,121

    Default Genode OS Now Has A LiveCD Demo With Gallium3D

    Phoronix: Genode OS Now Has A LiveCD Demo With Gallium3D

    Back in July we reported that Gallium3D and Intel's GEM were ported to Genode OS. Unless you read that article, chances are you never heard of Genode OS. Genode is a unique, niche operating system that is designed for dynamic workloads while being robust and secure. Genode takes a unique approach with frameworks to offer greater security and be a less complex operating system. It's primarily designed for high-security computing, automotive systems, and other devices requiring high security and/or dependability. Now though a LiveCD of this free operating system is available, which includes support for demonstrating its Gallium3D framework implementation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODc5MQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    You should probably specify that it's based on the L4 kernel for nerd enthusiasts like myself.

    Microkernels are the bomb. Mach isn't the fastest thing (in fact, is quite quite slow) but L4 is,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoEffex View Post
    Microkernels are the bomb
    Tell that to the HURD devs who are still banging their heads on how to fscking debug the bitch

    You can find a livecd of Hurd here: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hur...g/live_cd.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Tell that to the HURD devs who are still banging their heads on how to fscking debug the bitch

    You can find a livecd of Hurd here: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hur...g/live_cd.html
    HURD = Mach. Just because mach isn't the greatest doesn't mean microkernels are bad. MINIX isn't that bad (Although not fit for modern computers for a number of reasons), and L4 is good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoEffex View Post
    HURD = Mach. Just because mach isn't the greatest doesn't mean microkernels are bad. MINIX isn't that bad (Although not fit for modern computers for a number of reasons), and L4 is good.
    I like Coyotos a lot more, but by browsing the Wikipedua article it appears that after all these years they decided not to dump Mach, sadly...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I like Coyotos a lot more, but by browsing the Wikipedua article it appears that after all these years they decided not to dump Mach, sadly...
    I'm pretty sure that HURD is dead..

    I'm iffy about Coyotos because of it's BitC-ness. That and the lack of any sort of corporate backing behind it. L4 has a company or at least finances to support themselves.

    What I don't get is why Mac is still based on Mach..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •