Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: No KMS? No Mesa? Run Wayland Off A Linux Framebuffer!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,114

    Default No KMS? No Mesa? Run Wayland Off A Linux Framebuffer!

    Phoronix: No KMS? No Mesa? Run Wayland Off A Linux Framebuffer!

    Besides needing to get the various tool-kits and other libraries ported to run atop the Wayland Display Server, another requirement limiting the adoption of this X11 Server alternative so far has been the specialized graphics requirements. From the beginning, Wayland was designed for GPU drivers that support kernel mode-setting (KMS), Graphics Execution Manager (GEM) buffers, and OpenGL ES, among some other smaller requirements. Originally only the Intel Linux driver would work, but since then the various branches needed to support Wayland have been merged to their mainline code-bases and it's possible to run Wayland with the open-source ATI Radeon and Nouveau drivers too. But those using the proprietary ATI or NVIDIA drivers have not been able to run Wayland nor those people utilizing the VESA driver or any of the other obscure graphics drivers that lack any of the needed GPU driver capabilities. This though has now changed as it's been proved possible that Wayland in fact can run off a Linux frame-buffer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODgxMg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default Wayland hybrid graphics

    I wonder, on the hybrid graphics[1] front, since the current limitations of running a Linux system with two or more graphics chipsets seems to be X11 code, what would change with the move to Wayland?

    1. http://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    are you kidding? this kind of stuff can help Wayland adoption? A piece of crap integrated GPU will beat the shit out of the latest 6 core CPU in terms of render acceleration, this is purely for experiments. Seems cool but useless.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    are you kidding? this kind of stuff can help Wayland adoption? A piece of crap integrated GPU will beat the shit out of the latest 6 core CPU in terms of render acceleration, this is purely for experiments. Seems cool but useless.
    Yes, in fact it will. This is not meant for end-users, this is meant for developers who wish to hack Wayland but hitherto couldn't due to lack of drivers.

    This should also enable Wayland under VirtualBox, which is a huge win all around.

  5. #5

    Default

    Let's see... X with hardware accelerated everything, or Wayland with my expensive NVIDIA GPU acting like a dumb framebuffer. Which will I pick......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Excellent. Hopoefully, nvidia will consider this "supported" and not make any further updates to their driver to handle it directly. This would boost the migration away from the nasty blobs, which is a VERY good thing.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Excellent. Hopoefully, nvidia will consider this "supported" and not make any further updates to their driver to handle it directly. This would boost the migration away from the nasty blobs, which is a VERY good thing.
    A very good thing, only if you like slow 2D, slow/incomplete 3D, no/incomplete video acceleration, and high power usage.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm
    Let's see... X with hardware accelerated everything, or Wayland with my expensive NVIDIA GPU acting like a dumb framebuffer. Which will I pick......
    It couldn't be more obvious that this is simply to make Wayland more accessible for hacking by developers.

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm
    A very good thing, only if you like slow 2D, slow/incomplete 3D, no/incomplete video acceleration, and high power usage.
    Because Wayland becoming the default system to use and Nouveau then the default driver to use with it would slow/halt progress on all those issues, instead of boosting them dramatically.
    Oh wait...

  9. #9

    Default

    I paid for my Nvidia card to use its full feature set now, not in a few years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365

    Default

    I can imagine this being nice as a fallback that always works. Just like the VESA Xorg driver now.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •