Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmarks Of AMD's Newest Gallium3D Driver

Addendum: vblank and vsync are two different things. Both need to be disabled to get higher fps than refresh rate as far as I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The first task would be to find the bottlenecks. With a graphics driver that is usually a pretty significant task on its own. The graphics driver and the GPU are largely decoupled by a large command buffer and periodic synchronization events so your normal "run the app and see where the time goes" approach doesn't work so well.

It's more like "run the app, see where the time goes, develop a theory, talk to a few people, if they don't totally demolish your theory then write a bunch of code, see if it makes that app go faster, be happy because it does, test your change on other apps, get PO'ed because your change makes the other apps run slower, repeat".

Finding bottlenecks would be a good job for the first 5 developers.
    Really? i don't think so. the job for the 5 best devs should be bring openCL to work and dev a raytracing openCL based graphic engine.

and yes porting wayland to openCL

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Really? i don't think so. the job for the 5 best devs should be bring openCL to work and dev a raytracing openCL based graphic engine.

Why, so we could all play a ray-traced game at 1 fps? I'll stick with something that will actually be playable, thanks.

OpenCL still sucks in the binary drivers enough that no one is committing to it yet, let's wait for someone to at least start using the API before the OSS devs move their attention away from OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

Yeah I think we shuold be porting Unity to OpenCL also.

Dave.

I can understand Qaridarium in the sense that OpenCL would be nice, fortunately Zack restarted his work, so maybe the state tracker will be finished. After that support would be welcome in the drivers.

Porting Wayland to OpenCL is by no means the job of radeon developers, so please stop that Qaridarium.

If I remember the thread correctly the context was 100 devs targetted at performance improvement, not porting Wayland to OpenCL

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    I can understand Qaridarium in the sense that OpenCL would be nice, fortunately Zack restarted his work, so maybe the state tracker will be finished. After that support would be welcome in the drivers.

Porting Wayland to OpenCL is by no means the job of radeon developers, so please stop that Qaridarium.
    Yeah, I noticed that Zack had started committing to the clover branch again a few days ago. This definitely makes me happy, as it means that I'll eventually actually benefit from the results of my own thesis project.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that Zack had started committing to the clover branch again a few days ago. This definitely makes me happy, as it means that I'll eventually actually benefit from the results of my own thesis project.
    So this means you have started working on the vp8 decoder? Would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    So this means you have started working on the vp8 decoder? Would be awesome!
    Yeah, I've started work on it. Nothing to show for it yet beyond a configure option and some stub code that gets inserted into the runtime cpu detection blocks. I've basically added in the infrastructure to let me do the OpenCL execution, but haven't really fleshed out the implementation yet.

Before I can really go much further, I'll be doing some more profiling the standard C code and refactoring it a bit to make it more conducive to execution on GPUs, then the real OpenCL fun begins.

As for the implementation, I'm currently doing it with AMD's Stream/OpenCL run-time in Ubuntu, but some of the testing will also happen on Nvidia + Mac/Win.

since it was mentioned using opencl for graphics related stuff (even thought i suspect airlied's post was a bit sarcastic )

does this thing makes sense???

i thought opencl was a framework for tasks that are computation intensive ie decoders, math heavy stuff etc ???