Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How well does HD4670 perform with open source drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Sounds great.

When are you going to do it?
    the only problem is the OS driver can not handle ogl3...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Panix, are you sure you are looking at the right page ?

6xx/7xx/Evergreen 3D boxes are all marked "MOSTLY" (ie implemented with known bugs) except for the just-added GL3/GL4 feature rows (eg geometry shaders) and performance enhancements like texture tiling. The transition from "MOSTLY" to "DONE" is always slow because there is no clear rule for when the transition should happen.

The WIP entries are for Northern Islands not Evergreen. Only one of the NI models has even been released...
    "MOSTLY" has been unchanged since? Forever? I don't know what it means.

Much of the feature set is still not available via an OSS option. That was my point. So, a new architecture even based to some degree on the previous... one can expect another long wait.

Also, posts like "HD 5xxx' still sucks in Linux" doesn't inspire...

I want to buy a card for Xmas but Radeon fans aren't convincing yet.

gtx 580 or

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    "MOSTLY" has been unchanged since? Forever? I don't know what it means.
    It's been at mostly for about 11 months. Last time you asked it was about 10 months. There is a legend at the front of the wiki page:

"DONE" means that it is implemented and relatively bug-free.
    "MOSTLY" means that it is implemented but has some known bugs.
    As you can see, the transition from MOSTLY to DONE is controlled by the interpretation of "relatively bug-free" vs "some known bugs", which is not particularly specific.

Right now I believe the community is focusing on moving to r600g and getting *that* relatively bug free rather than worrying about whether the classic r600 driver meets that criteria. It probably does, but I don't think anyone cares.

Much of the feature set is still not available via an OSS option. That was my point. So, a new architecture even based to some degree on the previous... one can expect another long wait.
    ... but most of the feature set used by today's applications *is* available via an OSS option. If you are buying a card to run Heaven, or to develop using GL 3 or 4 then you need to plan on using the proprietary drivers for a while longer.

Also, posts like "HD 5xxx' still sucks in Linux" doesn't inspire...
    How recent is the post and was the poster actually running current code ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman
    It probably does, but I don't think anyone cares.
    The users care. No "regular" user uses r600g, it's not yet production quality by anyone's criteria.

Please make that damned row green, so users will stop complaining about stupid things. As you said nobody cares about it, but everybody will earn peace and tranquility.

P.S.
    Edit time sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    The users care. No "regular" user uses r600g, it's not yet production quality by anyone's criteria.
    Distros will switch to installing r600g by default when they see fit. That is when "regular" users will start using r600g.

And the current state of r600g in Mesa git looks better than the r600c shipped by distros today.

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    Distros will switch to installing r600g by default when they see fit. That is when "regular" users will start using r600g.

And the current state of r600g in Mesa git looks better than the r600c shipped by distros today.
    Until then, r600c is what they use and what they care about. I don't see how that changes my point in any way.

They use the classic driver from the release as shipped by their distro. Any new developments in the classic driver will not reach them more than developments in the gallium driver.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Until then, r600c is what they use and what they care about. I don't see how that changes my point in any way.
    It's production ready, F15 will use r600g. It wasn't production ready for last batch of distro. Time btw software being ready upstream and software being available in distro is kind of a long window.