Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i don't unterstand why? the xorgedgers ppa just have the better xorg/mesa file.

    "d2kx:If you want to try r600g, there is the xorg-edgers/gallium PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon"

    means if you use that PPA you get the Galium3D 3D part in the mesa.
    Adding the ppa breaks my packages.
    True story.

    As soon as I installed and upgraded a few of them, I was told about brokeb packages and that compiz-dev needed to be removed. So I did. Then Compiz stopped working. (Obviously) Then I tried to reinstall Compiz and now I had like 40 graphics related broken packages.

    In addition, my renderer string did not show up with Gallium3D, but with something not even Bridgman recognizes.

    That, to me, spells "fucked up the core" - and since I have an exam tomorrow, I decided to get rid of it before it really damaged my system.

    you can stop that we allready know that... easier do also mean you learn nothing.
    Well... that's true... >_>

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Besides, this is definitely working. My computer hasn't attempted to cool off for like 10 minutes now and the battery charge is going down so slowly I barely even notice. It says I have 2 hours left with 50% battery charge remaining. Before, I got 1 hour on the entire battery.
    Dang them powerhungry GPU's. Dang them, I say!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Okay so I downgraded the drivers and changed that file. And now I definitely notice a difference I think. I haven't really been running long enough to know for sure but the computer seems to generate much, much less heat and cools off (aka noises) far more rarely. The battery monitor is also going down about twice as slow, which is roughly what I expected.
    I set it to low, and it hasn't caused any issues (despite what the page said. I knew I could fix it back to med if the display stopped working using safe mode)
    Low just means 200mhz i force 200mhz by bios on my hd4250 system..

    my mom is using this pc and she dosn't get any difference on 200mhz vs 500mhz...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Anywho, I think it's getting there. Thanks so much.
    no problem ...


    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Now, I still can't play WoW on Linux.
    because you purge the xorg-edgers ppa and for general most games in wine need s3tc support so you need to compile your own s3tc support.





    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Gallium3D with DirectX9-11 + Radeon stability + Good OpenGL support + Power Management fixed...
    do you mean good or fast openGL support ?

    i think galium3D isn't ready yet for dx10/11 in wine.

    i think amd will invest more time on power managment if the fusion is shipt in 2011

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    because you purge the xorg-edgers ppa and for general most games in wine need s3tc support so you need to compile your own s3tc support.
    Nahh, it didn't work with the ppa either.
    That ppa just broke everything for me. I have never seen anything like it since I tried to add T. S. Barne's repository for the Ubuntu AppMenu. Oh man, that was terrible! >.<

    do you mean good or fast openGL support ?

    i think galium3D isn't ready yet for dx10/11 in wine.

    i think amd will invest more time on power managment if the fusion is shipt in 2011
    Both. They usually come quite hand-in-hand.
    Anywho, I don't think so either. THat's why I said it the way I did - I hope it will happen someday.

    And that sounds great about the fusion thing, but there's a far shorter way to go for FGLRX - it just needs to fix the myriad of glaring, stupid bugs it has going on. (Can't minimize full-screen windows, tons of missing features from OpenGL 3+, crashes after 2 entrances into X, no AA, no VSync, no XvBA, the list goes on...)

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Besides, this is definitely working. My computer hasn't attempted to cool off for like 10 minutes now and the battery charge is going down so slowly I barely even notice. It says I have 2 hours left with 50% battery charge remaining. Before, I got 1 hour on the entire battery.
    Dang them powerhungry GPU's. Dang them, I say!
    in my point of view amd do have the most efficiency gpus.

    the only problem is the radeon driver is not final right now.

    i also prefer onboard gpus for notebook because of the less power consumption.

    in 2011 the amd fusion fix that much faster gpu with less power consumption.

    but yes you wana have nvidia... on 2011 amd destroy nvidia on battery usage time be sure.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Adding the ppa breaks my packages.
    True story.
    As soon as I installed and upgraded a few of them, I was told about brokeb packages and that compiz-dev needed to be removed. So I did. Then Compiz stopped working. (Obviously) Then I tried to reinstall Compiz and now I had like 40 graphics related broken packages.
    In addition, my renderer string did not show up with Gallium3D, but with something not even Bridgman recognizes.
    That, to me, spells "fucked up the core" - and since I have an exam tomorrow, I decided to get rid of it before it really damaged my system.
    write an bugreport to Tormod Volden: tormod.volden at gmail dot com

    but he also reads the phoronix forums.. be sure he fix that.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Both. They usually come quite hand-in-hand.
    Anywho, I don't think so either. THat's why I said it the way I did - I hope it will happen someday.
    Both isn't on the fokus for the radeon driver: fast means ugly hacks and refraction the code and app/game specific hacks,

    good means no ugly hacks and no app/game specific hacks and no bugfixing of apps/games in the driver.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    And that sounds great about the fusion thing, but there's a far shorter way to go for FGLRX - it just needs to fix the myriad of glaring, stupid bugs it has going on. (Can't minimize full-screen windows, tons of missing features from OpenGL 3+, crashes after 2 entrances into X, no AA, no VSync, no XvBA, the list goes on...)
    i think any bugreport for catalyst 10.10-10.12 isn't helpfull because 11.01 pulls an big bang and only bugreports for that versions matters.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    This bug doesn't happen with KDE!

    Ok so this bug is GNOME+FGLRX. No other combination triggers it.

    Good thing I like KDE so much more but always had trouble getting it to work. Well, funny enough it works fine now but GNOME doesn't. So KDE it is.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    This bug doesn't happen with KDE!

    Ok so this bug is GNOME+FGLRX. No other combination triggers it.

    Good thing I like KDE so much more but always had trouble getting it to work. Well, funny enough it works fine now but GNOME doesn't. So KDE it is.
    LOL i'm a KDE user to

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •