Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why More Companies Don't Contribute To X.Org

Hybrid View

Default Why More Companies Don't Contribute To X.Org

Phoronix: Why More Companies Don't Contribute To X.Org

Being brought up from the discussion surrounding the RadeonHD driver being vandalized, which wound up just being a prank by two X.Org developers to torment one of the former RadeonHD developers, was a discussion why more companies don't contribute back to X.Org. Do companies think the X.Org code is too hard? That it's not worth the time? Is it all politics?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODgzMw

I've always gotten the impression that high-dollar open source is confined to what you can't see and CLI administration anyway. That is, why should they bother when they don't have a use for it?

But then again maybe I've missed the train entirely on X. It's always struck me as something confined to desktop Linux usage, and frankly desktop Linux isn't exactly a large commercial endeavor compared to any other commercial open source software.

joffe: Embedded systems are increasingly big business for open source software, and Xorg is often deployed in many classes of such devices. For example in set-top boxes, in-vehicle infotainment systems, personal navigation units, industrial consoles, mobile phones, et.c. Such usage will likely continue to increase in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnor View Post
    joffe: Embedded systems are increasingly big business for open source software, and Xorg is often deployed in many classes of such devices. For example in set-top boxes, in-vehicle infotainment systems, personal navigation units, industrial consoles, mobile phones, et.c. Such usage will likely continue to increase in the coming years.
    I thought they mostly used different display packages for that? AFAIK Android doesn't use X - I don't think webOS does either, does it?

Okay, MeeGo does, but who uses that? Also, the name is lame.

which wound up just being a prank by two X.Org developers to torment one of the former RadeonHD developers
    Would you want to work with a bunch of juvenile dipshits like that?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Would you want to work with a bunch of juvenile dipshits like that?
    Is there absolutely no humor in your life? It's not like it is permanently removed or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Is there absolutely no humor in your life? It's not like it is permanently removed or anything...
    Personally my sense of humor is generally restricted to things that are funny. Deriving pleasure from stressing other people out is a form of sadism. It isn't funny, it's immature.

the question should probably be "How attractive is X as a "product" and what we must do in the future (with Wayland as it seems) in order to attract people/developers/companies in the open source graphics ecosystem"

the kernel has managed to do that (be attractive) but as it seems the graphics side of things hasn't managed to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Personally my sense of humor is generally restricted to things that are funny. Deriving pleasure from stressing other people out is a form of sadism. It isn't funny, it's immature.
    Ow waa! Your taking youself too serious if you can't take a joke.

@bridgman

do you believe that this change/new direction in the graphic side can attract more people in it?? (or more importantly companies and money)