Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AMD processors/-based systems power hunger

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Where did you get those 20W figures from? No 7200rpm desktop hard drive from the last 5 years uses that much power. Typical figures are in the max 8W-10W for 3,5" 7200rpm HDDs. In the world of 2,5" laptop drives the power consumption is already very very close to SSDs. Take a look at the seagate momentus 5400.6 drives: 0,8W idle and 2,85W write power. Something like a Corsair Force SSD has 0,5W idle and 2W operating power.
    i just pull out some numbers

but yes you are right an SSD saves power.

the biggest profit is the time to get from idle to action status HDD's allways slow to do that.

and if you don't compare an ssd to super slow notebook hdds then you need to compare an ssd to an 15000 upm sas hdd because the speed matters

then ssd win much higher ...

Guys, thank you for input! Especially MU_Engineer!
    The true reason behind Athlon II x4 inefficient Vcore setting is simple - they are masking defect (turned off or defect cache, defect cores etc) Phenoms II as Athlons II. Phenom II is unable to work under 1.4Vcore and same as X3 vs X4, it seems AMD is unabIt runs and consumes electricity, but its not internally addressed.le to remove the power off completely from the defect chip or cache. On the contrast true Athlon II Propus cores only need as much as 1.15 Vcc to function stable at 2.8Ghz. Which was one of the reason I switched not only the graphics card to AMD, but the system itself - the chip may cost cheap but it should definitely not waste megawatts via deactivated cache or similar. As an "Otto-normal Burger" I don't own a nuclear powerplant in the backyard, nor am I interested in investing into pretty inefficient high-cost solar panels.

Core on other side, although as it seems pretty cut down at factory, does not utilize the cut-down parts nor needs to supply them with power.

I hope AMD will improve in next generation, ty for input!

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Engineer View Post
    You would still need to check clearances carefully no matter what board you mount that Scythe Mugen on. It's simply an enormous heatsink that the only real reason to get it would be to passively cool the CPUs. There are certainly other heatsinks out there that aren't quite so huge that would work on an Opteron board but are still pretty quiet. You could also look at water cooling as that is quiet, water blocks are small and have few clearance issues, and there are blocks specifically designed to bolt to Socket F/C32 and G34 out there, so you don't need to use the clamp-on heatsink retention brackets.

yes right.

in generall an watercooling system is NOT passiv means the water pump can go down and an water pump makes noises.

an Mugen never let you go down and water isn't a good idear with electronic..

You can also look on eBay for retention brackets if your board does not come with one. They cost $4-10 and I'll bet that some of the sellers even ship to Germany.

Depends on your definition of "loud." If you demand pretty much total and complete silence from your machine (basically an SPL < 20 dB) then yes, they're all loud. All of them will also be louder than your enormous heatsink as well.
    o well nice you get the point i just wana have highspeed with 0dB of noice

But most people I've seen with Socket F boards (which would use the same heatsinks as C32) have made some pretty quiet machines out of 92 mm or carefully-selected 120 mm desktop heatsinks. Machines using 2U/3U server heatsinks with PWM-controlled fans 70 mm or larger with their speed controlled by the BIOS are very similar to your typical corporate office PC in noise level.
    right... my OC-E6600@3.6ghz do have this one right now: http://geizhals.at/a464251.html

with 2 120cm fan's

and i have an mugen for an bulldozer system in 2011

You are just trying to use a heatsink that is very far beyond any size and weight specifications of heatsinks designed for that socket. You shouldn't be surprised that you would have trouble getting it to fit. You probably will have trouble mounting that heatsink on 90+% of desktop boards as well.
    uuhhh i'm so sorry i just allways do the wrong thing

ASUS says it is a 12" by 10" ATX board on their website. They also do not have the product listed on their German website.
    ok ok.-.. but if you go eatx you can buy an dualsocket g34 board

and you can pull 64gb of desktop non ecc ram into

The KCMA-D8 is about $290 over here compared to about $250 for the H8SGL-F.
    You can't really just divide the price of a 6-core chip by 2/3 to get a price of a quad-core chip. The closest C32 equivalent to the 6128 would be two Opteron 4122s, which are 2.2 GHz quad-cores. Two of them cost $200, compared to $270 for the 6128. Two 4122s + the KCMA-D8 will run you $490, while a 6128 and an H8SGL will run you $520, so the C32 solution is a little less expensive and a little faster. Yes, it will likely be a wash after you buy heatsinks, but remember that the only heatsinks that will fit on G34 boards are server heatsinks or Koolance's $85 CPU-360 water block. That's it. You can at least use some more reasonably-sized desktop heatsinks on C32 boards that will be quieter than the server heatsinks for G34.
    i don't get the point... the c32 is not cheaper and you can get much more ram with an g34 on an dualsocket mainboard and on the max an g34 system is more powerfull.

the only problem is the fan cooler yes maybe c32 is better for putting an cooler on.

I have a similar history and games are the buggiest programs with the highest propensity to lock up Linux systems in my opinion. If they're Windows games being run with WINE, it's even worse. Fortunately most locked-up games or X sessions can be killed with the magic SysRq keys, which dumps you into a text terminal to restart X without rebooting. But they're still pretty awful and apparently you play a lot of Windows games, so I imagine you see pretty frequent glitches and bugs.
    i never count an crash if any game run