Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Another Humble Indie Bundle Is Coming

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,612

    Default Another Humble Indie Bundle Is Coming

    Phoronix: Another Humble Indie Bundle Is Coming

    Earlier this year there was the "Humble Indie Bundle" where anyone could purchase a set of four Indie computer games (that are Linux compatible) for any price they wanted. The games included World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru, and Penumbra Overture. This ended up being such a success with the game developers that they ended up open-sourcing the games after raising quite a bit of money off this bundled deal. Now it appears the developers are working on a second Humble Indie Bundle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg5MQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Another Humble Indie Bundle Is Coming

    Earlier this year there was the "Humble Indie Bundle" where anyone could purchase a set of four Indie computer games (that are Linux compatible) for any price they wanted. The games included World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru, and Penumbra Overture. This ended up being such a success with the game developers that they ended up open-sourcing the games after raising quite a bit of money off this bundled deal. Now it appears the developers are working on a second Humble Indie Bundle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg5MQ
    Thanks for this news. I'll be looking forward to the new bundle coming out, and I've just activated my previous bundle on Steam. It will be nice to not have to keep a copy of the installers around on my hard drive (I probably will anyway, but now it's not an absolute requirement). And hopefully this means that my save games will now properly sync between computers.

    For those who want to do the steam activation, you have to log into the URL that you got when you purchased the bundle, and that page will have a Steam product activation code (i.e. cd key). Enter that into the Steam GUI, and the games will be added to your library just like any other games you've bought.

    Now I just get to try to figure out how to get my old World of Goo save game imported into Steam.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Damn, I need more money this xmas. So many things to buy/support...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I bought the first one but the only one that's a .deb is world of goo. If Steam comes to Ubuntu I might buy another one, but otherwise I want it in the Ubuntu Software Center or at the very least, .deb packages for every piece of software in the bundle.

    I haven't played most of the games that I bought, I refuse to run anything that's not installed from a .deb. I'm not sure if I want to buy more stuff that I won't get to play.

    I bought some other bundle or something too, maybe it was just Machinarium, I don't know, but I own a ton of "linux" games when what I really want is Ubuntu games :P

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Why do you "refuse" to run anything that is not a deb?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Why do you "refuse" to run anything that is not a deb?
    I'm an alpha addict, I reinstall my OS very frequently. I expect to be able to configure everything the way I like it with one "sudo apt-get install bla bla bla bla bla bla" and maybe a dpkg command on a directory.

    Besides that, if someone can't make a .deb, I don't trust whatever script they do write. Invariably they don't handle dependencies, they don't handle menu entries correctly, all kinds of unpolished crap like that which I won't put up with.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    I bought the first one but the only one that's a .deb is world of goo. If Steam comes to Ubuntu I might buy another one, but otherwise I want it in the Ubuntu Software Center or at the very least, .deb packages for every piece of software in the bundle.
    Part of the contract that comes with a distribution is that packaging is never upstream's job (doesn't mean they can't, but building a distribution means you're going to do the work for your own users, and not demand that from upstreams).

    It doesn't work as well for proprietary software, but it's still feasible. Adobe doesn't develop the Ubuntu flash package, it's Ubuntu's job.

    While it's always nice to find a package for your distribution on upstream site, demanding (not just suggesting or wishing) that developers package their own software for your distribution is wrong and goes against that agreement.

    Not only that, but most of the games in the Humble Indie Bundle have open sourced their code, so nothing prevents a distribution to package at least the program, and offer to prepair the whole package (program + proprietary data) so upstream can offer it on their site. The games in the HIB are doing far better than a proprietary game offering binary Ubuntu packages, since the latter don't let you fix security issues, and only offer you the appearance of good service.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,055

    Default

    @Michael

    s/four/five/


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,055

    Default

    @ethana2

    You do realize debs aren't alike, for all that polish they would have to specifically target Ubuntu, possibly even the exact same version?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    @ethana2

    You do realize debs aren't alike, for all that polish they would have to specifically target Ubuntu, possibly even the exact same version?
    Given Ubuntu's share of linux desktop market of around 75%, I think that's perfectly reasonable. I know phoronix has a lot more people using other platforms like Arch, so I don't expect you to agree with me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •