Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD's Linux Team Takes Another Blow

Hybrid View

Default AMD's Linux Team Takes Another Blow

Phoronix: AMD's Linux Team Takes Another Blow

The ATI/AMD Catalyst Linux driver has improved vastly over the years with the switch to their new architecture back in 2007 and hitting many milestones since that point with reaching a performance and near-feature parity with their Windows Catalyst driver thanks to a largely shared code-base. The Catalyst Linux driver is now largely on-par with the AMD Windows driver (except with areas like XvBA for video acceleration), but today AMD's Linux team is facing a new loss...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg5NA

Less devs in fglrx = more money in oss?

Please?

These must be good days to be a Linux engineer. Android is growing enormously and I expect Chrome to be significant. Of course a lot of the work will be apps development, which is rather platform independent. But Google will need to keep hiring Linux gurus to keep building these OS's.

Anyways, best luck to everyone involved (both the AMD/ATI team and Piranavan, for helping me use ATI's hardware in Linux

Many folks are newer user, but I started using Linux circa 1995. A vast majority of hardware had very limited, if any support under Linux.I'll much rather see Open Source support (for many reasons), but any support is infinitely better than no support.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    These must be good days to be a Linux engineer.
    In truth, it is... It's keeping me employed and able to pick up new contracts right at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    In truth, it is... It's keeping me employed and able to pick up new contracts right at the moment...
    Uh oh. I guess that's got to mean something.

But I guess in AMDs case after 7 years maybe they wanted to do something different. And I guess somebody else will follow into their empty position.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Uh oh. I guess that's got to mean something.

But I guess in AMDs case after 7 years maybe they wanted to do something different. And I guess somebody else will follow into their empty position.
    Heh... It means that I left my previous employ during a weak economy because of a disagreement over certain management practices there to get the current contract (now winding down) and got the next one that's likely to go for several years if I want it to (And while I'm of mixed opinions about where I'm going- the work's kind of the thing that would likely induce me to stay a bit... ) and I'm still getting cold-call contacts for Linux related work.

IIRC, while ATI/AMD has made great strides in supporting Linux, they are still behind in supporting the latest X server. Which means no drivers for new cards on new distro releases.
    Which means I bought nvidia again

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    IIRC, while ATI/AMD has made great strides in supporting Linux, they are still behind in supporting the latest X server. Which means no drivers for new cards on new distro releases.
    xorg-server 1.9 is supported with Catalyst 10.10+.

Using a 4850 with the FOSS driver for a long time, I switched to the binary blob as I'm learning a bit of OpenGL 3+.
    (Actually, I blindly bought the 5th Ed. of the "OpenGL Super Bible", which does not cover the fixed function part anymore. Stupid, I wasn't aware of that - so, my bad... )
    I still would prefer a FOSS driver but honestly: the blob is really doing an excellent job here which I didn't expected.
    Seems like lots of people are to be negatively biased towards the binary, in a way that it doesn't deserve (anymore).
    I don't use XVBA, so that's not an issue for me. Multi Screen with RandR 1.3 working flawless, 2D feels snappy with no artifacts and it's really stable.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    xorg-server 1.9 is supported with Catalyst 10.10+.

Using a 4850 with the FOSS driver for a long time, I switched to the binary blob as I'm learning a bit of OpenGL 3+.
    (Actually, I blindly bought the 5th Ed. of the "OpenGL Super Bible", which does not cover the fixed function part anymore. Stupid, I wasn't aware of that - so, my bad... )
    I still would prefer a FOSS driver but honestly: the blob is really doing an excellent job here which I didn't expected.
    Seems like lots of people are to be negatively biased towards the binary, in a way that it doesn't deserve (anymore).
    I don't use XVBA, so that's not an issue for me. Multi Screen with RandR 1.3 working flawless, 2D feels snappy with no artifacts and it's really stable.
    Good to hear that gap's closed. It fell below my radar a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    nvidia is pretty much the only game in town for decent graphics on Linux. While their blob's pretty decent, there needs to be a good OSS alternative so Nouveau should be stepping up to the plate.