Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Hiring Another Open-Source Driver Developer

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Actually nobody here has ever used their "oral skills" in the forum, writing skills for sure but not "oral skills".
    "Oral" skills really means "verbal" skills which corresponds to and includes written skills since they come from the same centers of the brain...

Actually nobody here has ever used their "oral skills" in the forum, writing skills for sure but not "oral skills".
    "Oral skills" is an HR term, that they keep using and should instead discard, for "Verbal skills" which comprises of oratory and written skills- if you're not well spoken, you're likely to not be well written and vice-versa. They're called "verbal" because they are interrelated skillsets derived from the speech centers of the brain and correspond to transforming thoughts into words, spoken or written.

Let's keep Q's personal life out of this.
    <*snicker*> Now, now...let's keep this clean guys.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    You missed the point - x86 is highly documented and works with this.
    AMD and NVIDIA GPU's are scarcely documented(AMD - newest, NVIDIA - all) and there is zero opensource API atm to use them efficiently.
    On x86 you have various compilers and various libraries - all opensource.
    I'd have to concur. The big problem is one of understanding the real issue here.

Of course GPU are a bit different from CPU, yet in near future I would like to offload big part of the code to GPU. No such opensource solution exists. I cannot work with hardware using opensource tools.
    Heh...

1) GPUs aren't a bit different than CPUs. They're quite a bit different right at the moment- Intel tried to make something closer with Larrabee and didn't quite make it. Massively parallel execution, branching comes at a penalty that's probably at least slightly higher than with your typical DSP. Handful of other things differing than that, but I hope you get the idea.

2) No open source solution exists to try to drive this stuff right now because Gallium 3D isn't finished. Once done, you'll have things like OpenCL and RapidMind/Sh to work with that's fully open sourced right down to the metal.

3) Aaand you'd have it wrong about not being able to work in hardware design with open source tools. Quite a few

But there is also chinese Loongson(opensource in closed source government ftw!)
    The Dragon Chip is a MIPS variant that has no VHDL or similar disclosed so you couldn't extend the silicon if you wanted to. And, since it's a MIPS variant, of course you can do everything else but perhaps GPU stuff with it with FOSS tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    It's not a fake.
    yes its not a fake that makes it funny because it shows us like a fake with all that windows buzzword crap.[/QUOTE]

HR probably put that one in there. They do remote employees if they're proven people or knowns... I worked with one of them- you might know of him as one of the authors of the OpenGL SuperBible. (In fact, I worked with two of the authors a while back...)
    Human resources fail here.

and yes they do remote employees,,,

Uh...development would be based on marketing requirements for a GPU card... Engineering would have major inputs on what those were in a sane company (and in AMD, there's inputs...trust me...) but if there's no market need for something and you can't make one- why do it? HR states this fluff because they're sort of required to disclose this sort of junk.
    the theory about market need is wrong because you first need the product then you can do marketing then there are a market need because of the product and the marketing.

if you first check the markt need you just get the wrong data out of your fake marked need studie.

Heh... That's not wholly true- but you're expected to be a quick learner. You know, each and every role I've ever held down had that as a requirement- and I never had to snort lines or shoot up coke and I always seemed to have at least SOME help. You might want to re-think your premise there, Qaridarium.
    i don't need to rethink because i only do a joke here.

i really know the quick learning part and help is allways there.

"and I never had to snort lines or shoot up coke"

you should try it start with LSD and then write an game

1) This was HR posting this. I know for positive they don't know Linux versus Windows and they're spouting buzzwords and don't understand that the Windows side requirements are slightly differing from the Linux side.
    really thats not funny any linux guy should step away from companys with Human resources people like this.

2) You actually and perversely need some Windows skills as well as some Linux ones to figure out some bugs (By comparing what the Windows driver does versus the Linux one... Just because the code-core's the same, not all paths are used, not all OS specific shims will work the code core the same way, etc...). You could do without that, yes- but if you want to replicate behavior on the Windows side, it'd help a bunch to be able to do that. <*waves hand*>
    you are right

i have windows skills to more than 98% of all windows users i know..

(no im not high skilled in windows thats just because the windows users are totally '''''Luser'''')

Really? So...I'm braindead, am I? Niice... :P
    maybe i was a little bit overloud ... maybe you are helpfull and not braindead

Heh... You're pretty clueless at this, aren't you? Code that was written for Windows in mind (regardless of the "common" and "portable" codebase that it might be, it was written against Windows first and foremost. It has design decisions that were motivated by that OS and it's kernel and while they might be portable, they may also be a problem performance or integration-wise on the MacOS or Linux side. If you're writing it just for Linux, you can get away with just knowledge of the Linux kernel. If you're making a cross-platform driver, you'd damned well better at least marginally understand at least one or more of the other target OSes before you lay hands on the code.
    i hope the radeon will never goes the catalyst way..

Actually, if you're working with the varying teams within the OpenGL and Direct3D group, as you would if you had this job, you'd need good verbal and written skills. Especially if you're working with the German team. Clarity in expression of thought is kind of crucial- especially when you're talking about the complex task the job entails.
    German? be sure my oral german skill is very high skilled.
    or do you mean if you communicate with the german team in english?
    be sure the german language do have a much more complex syntax than english.
    means a complex task in english is a normal one in german

try this in english:

Die Kommunikationsbasiseinheitbedinngung bereinigt den dargebotenen Justierungssollschlusswert, naheliegend dem Aussschlusswert der negierungswerte dritt das zurückstehende Justierungsptrotokoll in kraft, um den produktionsstand zu vollenden.

maybe you only have an complexibility problem with the german team because the german thinking and german language are so complex..

Uh... No. And more to the point, he's used his oral skills in here often. As have I. You, on the other hand, have posted some pretty lame things (this rant being one of them...) that's pretty incoherent. But then...if you've not got the skills in question, it might be hard to spot it in others...
    well my writing skill is just worst i know that.

bridgman uses his well writing skills in here but i never talk about the writing skills.

oral skills are not importand for an dev.

i have high oral skills in german but in germany no one gives a fuck about oral skills.

in reallity you can shot your oral skills to the mars.

Thats a bit much to parse. But about market needs anyways, Its a bit more complicated then that. Often times the most successful markets are the ones that have the most demand. Other successful markets can be carved out, but they are fewer and farther between.

"Oral" skills really means "verbal" skills which corresponds to and includes written skills since they come from the same centers of the brain...

you are just wrong i have high oral skills in 'german' but no one cares at scool and 'Vocational education' in germany they allways only check your writing skill if you have Dyslexia you can shot a bulled into your mouth to the brain.

oral skill and writing skill ARE NOT in the SAME center of the brain.

"Oral skills" is an HR term, that they keep using and should instead discard, for "Verbal skills" which comprises of oratory and written skills- if you're not well spoken, you're likely to not be well written and vice-versa. They're called "verbal" because they are interrelated skillsets derived from the speech centers of the brain and correspond to transforming thoughts into words, spoken or written.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

you are just wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you are just wrong i have high oral skills in 'german' but no one cares at scool and 'Vocational education' in germany they allways only check your writing skill if you have Dyslexia you can shot a bulled into your mouth to the brain.

oral skill and writing skill ARE NOT in the SAME center of the brain.
    It would help alot to just double check the spelling of your words.. Most people can understand what you mean as long as the words are spelled right. My grammar is terrible too. However, you can still install an english spell checker to help you out with words that you dont know. I'm native english speaker, and I have to use a spell checker.

A spoil chocker is not avails useful if you have dyslexia.