Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Limited ATI support?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Meh, but they don't for 64 bit...
    Since when?

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd...29-driver.html

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.
    OK, that makes sense now. Ya it is GF6 and up.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Yes, I do.

    To answer the rest of the replies, the complaint is the only support is FOSS drivers that is slow progressing and new hardware is not yet supported. So, you don't even have the open source option. If the community decides 'it's good enough' or 'it will take months/years' to achieve features A, B and C, you don't have another driver option (i.e. binary blob). The Nvidia equivalent is less than ideal but it's supported and should work to some degree... at least, you can use recent hardware with it.

    Kano's point is also good as well... they're supporting Solaris... what about the excuse that the market share is super low or percentage of users is low? Where is AMD?
    Maybe Oracle is paying for it?

    Dave.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

    Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

    Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.
    How is it laughable? Have you tested it? Has Phoronix tested it? Do I see a benchmark in our future?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Owatonna, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    98

    Default

    There's a few devs working on open-source Radeon support for FreeBSD now. FreeBSD 9 should have 3D acceleration when it is released.
    Link (the last bullet under "Other Changes")

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    ROFL, Panix, you're the best troll on here after gordboy.

    You STILL don't have an ATi card, yet you've spent the last year starting 3 threads a week about how much ATi sucks.

    You must lead an interesting life

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    BTW, most Mesa and X code is under BSD-compatible licenses (i.e. not GPL).

    Most of it will run in usermode (not requiring Linux KMS).

    The drivers are there, it's just that nobody cares enough about making them work.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    ROFL, Panix, you're the best troll on here after gordboy.

    You STILL don't have an ATi card, yet you've spent the last year starting 3 threads a week about how much ATi sucks.

    You must lead an interesting life
    Well, if there are people interested in making FOSS drivers work on BSD, I'm all for it too. BSD is actually quite a mature OS compared to Linux and getting BSD to run the latest hardware would definitely be a good thing.

    As for panix being a troll, I'd say he's just merely stirring controversy rather.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •