Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Google Android Gingerbread Is Using EXT4

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Since when?
    Since forever. Unless of course you place an ftl before the nand

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _txf_ View Post
    Since forever. Unless of course you place an ftl before the nand
    He clarified his post. His original statement was broad and vague.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    It's very simple.
    When using raw flash access, they use YAFFS (they use it on the Nexus S too!!)
    When using flash that has a disk emulation layer, like the Samsung's oneNand/mNand, then they use EXT4, because YAFFS doesn't work on that, and wear leveling is already implemented at the emulation layer.

    That's what the Nexus S also uses, and the Galaxy S uses (the SGS only uses that in fact, the Nexus S has a YAFFS part and a EXT4 part)

    They're both just fine and using EXT4 on top isnt especially always faster or slower than YAFFS, it depends on the chip implementation too.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    can only edit post for 1min and phoronixwent down for 2 min when i edited lol..
    Anyway http://project-voodoo.org/ to make ur SGS use EXT4, its not a bad hardware memory issue but a software bug. Also XXJPU firmware fixes it (but its a beta)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    341

    Default What's the benefit for Phones?

    Journalled file systems on a flash device make no sense.

    Most Android phones run in memory anyhow, 512MB if you're lucky to have a phone with that much space in memory.

    2-16GB file systems are better off with Fat32. Due to copywrite problems they possibly be better off with ext2.

    1. barrier=0 or barrier=1 ?

    2. Does Android write data to the file system like Tso says it should?

    3. fsck.ext4 included in the tools?

    * When will we get a proper task-killer from G0ogle?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Journalled file systems on a flash device make no sense.

    Most Android phones run in memory anyhow, 512MB if you're lucky to have a phone with that much space in memory.

    2-16GB file systems are better off with Fat32. Due to copywrite problems they possibly be better off with ext2.

    1. barrier=0 or barrier=1 ?

    2. Does Android write data to the file system like Tso says it should?

    3. fsck.ext4 included in the tools?

    * When will we get a proper task-killer from G0ogle?
    You obviously don't understand filesystems, different memories and operating systems in general "Android run in memory" (so naive)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Journalled file systems on a flash device make no sense.
    I think it's rather your sentence (used in such a broad way) that makes no sense.

    And btw, especially Ext4 has a "no journal mode", no need to go back to the old Ext2.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Now if only the drivers where more modular:
    "and updated OpenGL ES graphics drivers"
    Tying drivers with OS upgrades is dumb people.

    (I know updated base drivers is good.
    But the thing is that this is a sign of drivers being bound to certani OS upgrades.)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    Now if only the drivers where more modular:
    "and updated OpenGL ES graphics drivers"
    Tying drivers with OS upgrades is dumb people.

    (I know updated base drivers is good.
    But the thing is that this is a sign of drivers being bound to certani OS upgrades.)
    The GL drivers for most android devices are 100% proprietary, not part of AOSP. If they have updated the GL drivers, they are referring to the software rendering.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •