Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Game Publishing Is Back Online

Default Linux Game Publishing Is Back Online

Phoronix: Linux Game Publishing Is Back Online

More than two months after their sole server with a single consumer-grade SATA disk drive had failed and was then compounded by firmware corruption, chemical degradation, and file-system damage, Linux Game Publishing is now back online. As of this evening, there's this notice on their web-site:..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg4OQ

Could someone please contact them and send them a link to a wikipedia entry for vps hosting?

or an article teaching you to create raid-1 disk array?

What happened, happened. What matters now is that they are back again. Let's see if we are going to hear for new titles.

Now that LGP is back online, hopefully everyone here will join me in pressuring them to stop releasing games with DRM. If there's one lesson from this debacle, it isn't that you should use RAID (though you should), it's that you can NEVER trust any company to be around forever, no matter how well intentioned. And when Product Activation or DRM of this kind is used, you must rely on them being around forever in order to use your product.

So, LGP: please reject any right's holder that requires you to use DRM on their games as a condition of publishing them.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    or an article teaching you to create raid-1 disk array?
    Or even having regular backups so you can buy a new drive and get things up and running again in a few hours?

I'll second Delgarde's remarks, but chastize FunkyRider for his...

RAID-1 is worthless.

You wrote a copy out to both drives. One of the drives has a soft/hard write failure- but you don't know which one until it's too late. Now, quick, tell me which drive has the good copy!

You can't, can you? Not honestly.

RAID-5's sort of useful in that you can survive a single failure of any kind on a single disk. Same problem with RAID-1 applies and you can have soft-failures staggered throughout the disks.

RAID only makes sense in that you can survive a hardware failure and not die outright. It is NOT, nor is it ever a backup method.

And the only SANE use for RAID-0 is with SSDs...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
    Now that LGP is back online, hopefully everyone here will join me in pressuring them to stop releasing games with DRM. If there's one lesson from this debacle, it isn't that you should use RAID (though you should), it's that you can NEVER trust any company to be around forever, no matter how well intentioned. And when Product Activation or DRM of this kind is used, you must rely on them being around forever in order to use your product.
    Heh... I think I had a similar conversation with Michael Simms a long while back.

So, LGP: please reject any right's holder that requires you to use DRM on their games as a condition of publishing them.
    Soo...you'd do without someone providing, oh, say, a fully native version of the Witcher or something like Crysis? I'm not saying you shouldn't keep the position. Just do keep in mind that they're fairly enamored with the idiot notion of DRM in the industry and the big players tend to WANT it or else you don't get rights access to port.

Michael Simms was more backed into a corner with Ascaron on Sacred there.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Soo...you'd do without someone providing, oh, say, a fully native version of the Witcher or something like Crysis? I'm not saying you shouldn't keep the position. Just do keep in mind that they're fairly enamored with the idiot notion of DRM in the industry and the big players tend to WANT it or else you don't get rights access to port.
    there are AAA titles with no DRM! ArmA2 for exampel

you can insall and play it with an download by torrend and you only need a valid serial for updates.

because the leaked serials are blacklisted in the update.

but yes LGP do not wana support DRM free companys by porting games...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    there are AAA titles with no DRM! ArmA2 for exampel

you can insall and play it with an download by torrend and you only need a valid serial for updates.

because the leaked serials are blacklisted in the update.

but yes LGP do not wana support DRM free companys by porting games...
    And that there is the problem LGP found themselves faced with. Remember that they started off with no copy protection whatsoever, and they have attempted to minimise the take, and they give a bit back, too.

As I see it, the problem isn't that they employed a form of DRM, its that the employed a form of DRM and failed to maintain sufficient infrastructure. If they had set things up properly, there would have been, like, an hour of downtime (or less), a day at the max. Instead, their backup procedures were obviously insufficient and they didn't have a spare system to switch over to.