Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

Default ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

I recently upgraded to ATi Catalyst 10.11, and despite the many improvements, I have one very major quabble with it!

Every time I enter tty1-6 and then go back to the X-server, close the lid then open it again or put it to hibernate then waking it again, it will, on the second attempt at any of these, lock up with a black screen. Only way to recover is to restart the computer.

I am getting so ridiculously tired of this bug I'm considering downgrading all the way to 10.7. I'll lose the ability to change the volume while viewing flash content though but... whatever! >.<

But before I do - anyone got a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Every time I enter tty1-6 and then go back to the X-server, close the lid then open it again or put it to hibernate then waking it again, it will, on the second attempt at any of these, lock up with a black screen. Only way to recover is to restart the computer.
    Same problem, did you find any solution/bypass for this bug ?

Quote Originally Posted by The IceMan View Post
    Same problem, did you find any solution/bypass for this bug ?
    No. I've switched to the RadeonHD OSS driver.
    It sucks. Eats my battery in 1 hour. Proprietary driver gives 4 hours. It feels like I'm playing games constantly, and when I ask for the temperature of my GPU it's way too high at all times. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've sent a mail to the ones who sold me the laptop (who are a really helpful and friendly company who sell their PC's without Windows!) concerning whether they can replace the graphics chip with an NVidia one.

I am hopeful, as it is not an integrated card (no shared memory, Mobility Radeon HD4650 1024MB) and they build their PC's themselves despite their small size. I have an MM-Vision (www.mm-vision.dk) computer.

I contacted ATi about it and they just said "lol stop using linux that solves it" - to which I promptly replied with a problem I have on Windows 7 with the very same version of their driver, in that it randomly crashes when viewing flash videos - and told him to otherwise just go fuck himself.

I've had enough of these shoddy drivers over the months.
    Sorry if I ranted a bit there.

I forgot to add:
    I was praising ATi a lot during the summer this year because they were doing an incredible job. Anyone recalls fixing Wine DirectX, fixing the slow resizing and all that? In 3 months? Yeah, that was awesome.

They have, however, gone out and broke it all again - and I can't downgrade because the old drivers are not compatible with 10.10, so yeah.
    I refuse to stand for this anymore. It's just too stupid.

Well you could use my next squeeze based distribution, there you can install every driver

No. I've switched to the RadeonHD OSS driver.
    It sucks. Eats my battery in 1 hour. Proprietary driver gives 4 hours. It feels like I'm playing games constantly, and when I ask for the temperature of my GPU it's way too high at all times. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

I contacted ATi about it and they just said "lol stop using linux that solves it" - to which I promptly replied with a problem I have on Windows 7 with the very same version of their driver, in that it randomly crashes when viewing flash videos - and told him to otherwise just go fuck himself.
    Are you using one of the low power settings on the radeonhd driver ?

Depending on your distro, you might want to move to KMS and the radeon driver which has newer and more capable power management code.

I'm curious who you contacted at ATI (did you mean AMD ?), any info appreciated.

One of your earlier posts suggested you are running Ubuntu 10.10, so it should have KMS and the radeon driver installed by default. Check the bottom of the RadeonFeature wiki page for instructions on how to use the power management options with KMS and radeon.

If you want to stay with radeonhd, try Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "On" in the Device section of your xorg.conf.

radeonHD???? really? i think you mean radeon...

ubuntu 10.10 means nothing on hd5000 cards crash on the 2.6.35 kernel.. upgrade to minimum 2.6.36 or better .37 fix that for exampel.

so really ubuntu means nothing.

ubuntu 10.10+xorg-edgers+newest ubuntu 10.10 vanilla kernel 2.6.37 gives you a feeling about the radeon driver...

without that stuff you simply don't use the radeon driver in an usefull way because '''ubuntu''' don't give you an radeon driver in an usefull way!

the next bigbang catalyst is the catalyst 2011.1 then the catalyst do have nearly the same feature set than the radeon driver.

ubuntu on radeon is useless without newest kernel and xorg-edgers

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I'm curious who you contacted at ATI (did you mean AMD ?), any info appreciated.
    some one try to automate your job by an script chat bot on any questions the bridgman2.0chatbot anwers : ""lol stop using linux that solves it""

yes its an hard world...

I've sent a mail to the ones who sold me the laptop (who are a really helpful and friendly company who sell their PC's without Windows!) concerning whether they can replace the graphics chip with an NVidia one.
    really ? i talk similar in another way arround to my computer store

"no nvidia in my peoples computers if i do the support"

because of bad chipsets, bump-gate bad chips,not supporting opensource, bad efficeny, not compatible techniques like cuda and physX, and so on and so one.

in my point of view the catalyst is fine if the 2011.1 catalyst comes out

on the radeon site just upgrade the kernel and put the xorg-egders on