Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Also while wine is a great project, I personally have no problems keeping windows in dual boot. That way you can save yourself a lot of troubles(actually depends on what you want from your linux experience - write the code, or bugreports and help developers improve Wine and other projets ).

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGeek View Post

How about getting radical, me old mate Bridgie?!?!

You could even supply a list of WINE apps known to work and under what software environments?
    i'm sorry, but lets be realistic here - Even WineHQ doesn't entirely succeed at that goal, you really expect AMD to have employee's test all their cards plus god knows how many software packages plus god knows how many apps....

shoot, even sorting through all the reports on winehq would be a massive task, and that still wouldn't give anywhere near a comprehensive list.

and all to find which software doesn't work due to bugs that are quite possibly(i'd even go so far as to say more then likely) not even in thier drivers, but in a 3rd party program?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    No, you are not alone, I have had a good selection of both AMD and Nvidia cards and I have little trouble with any of them, both useing the close src drivers. Both 3D games and video have been no problem. I find interesting apparently so many are having problems that I do not have.
    agreed, especially since i've used 3 different cards in the last few months (a 3200 integrated, a 4650, and a 4830) and i update to the newest version of the driver within a day or two of its release.

actually i've had a more annoying issue with nvidia then i ever had with AMD, a recurring vram leak that would pop up every other driver release or so and cause my computer to crash at least once a day. i should note this was several years back.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Now on a more serious note, there should be a poll on the site to gather just how many people have problems with either fglrx or nvidia drivers.
    Not sure that would prove anything, since you'd only poll registered Phoronix users.
    Also nVidia users having issues complain on the nVnews boards. Since there is no official AMD equivalent, the blunt of the rants about fglrx appear here.

Mr James, if you want Wine to work better with fglrx, there is a simple fix: send ATI cards to each Wine dev.
    Otherwise, accept that fglx will constantly have to play catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Not sure that would prove anything, since you'd only poll registered Phoronix users.
    Also nVidia users having issues complain on the nVnews boards. Since there is no official AMD equivalent, the blunt of the rants about fglrx appear here.

Mr James, if you want Wine to work better with fglrx, there is a simple fix: send ATI cards to each Wine dev.
    Otherwise, accept that fglx will constantly have to play catch-up.
    You buy them, I'll send them, deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Wine is an opensource project and a volunteer effort after all. Feel free to fix the bug yourself or facilitate fixing it some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    How many monitors are you running?

Which version of Catalyst?
    Just 1 monitor.

On Cat 10.12 x86_64 Kde 4.5.85 (4.6 beta 2) Kwin not Compiz.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Hah! Can't have the cake and eat it