Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    And that's your hipocricy right there. Nvidia cards don't have a FOSS driver either, yet you somehow hold that against Ati - and not Nvidia.

Seems like someone is grasping at straws here - and that ain't me.
    No, I hate Nvidia for that. I wouldn't even look at getting a Nvidia card if ATI's drivers were more functional. It seems there would be problems no matter what card or which driver.

The entire consensus seems to be for Nvidia, is it is closed but will generally work. You are against practicality but don't judge me if I go with it. That's not fair.

My beef with ATI is the low resources given to it by AMD while claiming to have 'good' support. Four developers for the FOSS driver and then there's applause because they might hire one more? Congrats.

They are getting closer to the binary Nvidia blob with their own binary blob. Good. But, the gap with Windows is still wide and large. Support is not same day release like it is with Nvidia and I am talking about the binary.

Just because I am desiring more resources given doesn't mean I support no open source options or Nvidia's policy. I am more than annoyed with the Optimus situation so that if I buy a laptop, I will not pick any Nvidia solution.

If I complete the build of my 2nd machine, I will buy an ATI card so that I can test it. Kano is right in that respect, it's way better to conduct tests with another machine. Especially if it's two 'different' cards.

Anyway, I have said my two cents and don't want to argue anymore. I know there's a good mix of perspectives here so I'll let them continue.

If Windows is the majority market consumer OS and Nvidia choose to have compatibility, why can't ATI?
    How do you define compatibility? Because Nvidia is not the panacea you make it seem. I could start listing my Nvidia gripes but that wouldn't be constructive.

Suffice to say that Wine is the least of their problems (both for Nvidia *and* Ati).

The Wine devs use Nvidia hardware but not ATI so much? Why is that?
    Because Ati's 3d drivers used to be pretty bad in the past, so Wine developers flocked to Nvidia. Ati has improved tremendously these past three years but Wine remains Nvidia-centric.

"Blackstar:Suffice to say that Wine is the least of their problems (both for Nvidia *and* Ati)."

so wait a few weeks and go buy a New SandyBridge and get a free Encode/Decode HD Engine with that new and improved internal Gfx chip and free OSS Driver code for your laptop or new desktop, perhaps get a dual/Quad PCiE slot Motherboard too so you can keep trying your other Gfx Cards without pulling them each time too

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    No, I hate Nvidia for that. I wouldn't even look at getting a Nvidia card if ATI's drivers were more functional. It seems there would be problems no matter what card or which driver.

The entire consensus seems to be for Nvidia, is it is closed but will generally work. You are against practicality but don't judge me if I go with it. That's not fair.
    I don't judge you for that but for comparing apples with oranges. If you compared Radeon with Nouveau, you'd see that the former is in a much better shape than the latter. Between fglrx and nvidia, nvidia wins but it's still *very* buggy (much more than the equivalent Windows driver in fact).

It just happens that Nvidia's bugs are in less annoying places than Ati's: suspend/resume failures, constant multi-monitor problems, security issues. But hey, Wine works so who cares?

My beef with ATI is the low resources given to it by AMD while claiming to have 'good' support. Four developers for the FOSS driver and then there's applause because they might hire one more? Congrats.
    Ati does not develop the OSS drivers themselves. They never did, they never said they will do, they don't actually *need* to do this. All they said is that they will release specs for the community to peruse at its leisure.

The fact that they are hiring people is indeed a big deal.

They are getting closer to the binary Nvidia blob with their own binary blob. Good. But, the gap with Windows is still wide and large. Support is not same day release like it is with Nvidia and I am talking about the binary.
    Have you ever compared Nvidia's Windows and Linux drivers? There is a huge quality gap in favor of Windows.

Yet you only hold this against Ati.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    "Blackstar:Suffice to say that Wine is the least of their problems (both for Nvidia *and* Ati)."

so wait a few weeks and go buy a New SandyBridge and get a free Encode/Decode HD Engine with that new and improved internal Gfx chip and free OSS Driver code for your laptop or new desktop, perhaps get a dual/Quad PCiE slot Motherboard too so you can keep trying your other Gfx Cards without pulling them each time too
    Actually, I just want something with OpenGL 4.1, xrandr and vsync. Right now it's three options, pick two: Nvidia supports GL and vsync, Ati supports GL and xrandr, Intel supports xrandr and vsync. sigh

If fglrx 11.1 actually solves the vsync issue, I think I'll finally have a solution (after 6 years, great!)

Yes, having to use nvidia-settings or even modified xorg.conf for 2 separate screens is really annoying. You could script some things however but using the integrated tools into kde would be much nicer ov course.

Some people in this thread really get on my nerves.

When somebody has at least for some part a valid complained, he is told to go get windows.

Do these people want me to post here, the problems I had the last few days with windows 7 and Aliens vs Predator 2 ?
    I have solved it, with reg-cleaner.

I have build a new pc. AMD phenom II X4 3.2 g and an ASUS HD 5750.
    4 gig of ram.

After installing Suse 11.3, which is supported by ATI, I cant even use firefox normal.

When I scroll an internet page, I see lag which reminds me of my atari ST.
    (motorola 68000 2MB of ram) when scroling through large text files.

Because I am a gamer too, my pc is dual boot.
    Aliens vs Predator 3 was released, and it suported Direct X11.

( that rules out W Xp too )

On suse I cant even open the command center.

I am talking about open Suse 11.3 64bit and the catalyst 10.11.

I have not lost my patient totally, and maybe 10.12 will make me smile,
    but I have this card now for 6 months.

If AMD wants to keep me as a costumer, they really need to speed things up.

About nvidia. I have to admitt, that I had less problems with my nvidia in 4 years then in the last 4 months with ati on linux.

Would I have more money ati probably already had lost me.

My prevous pc was dual boot too.
    The nvidia windows driver had allot more features then the Linux counterpart.

To end this rant.
    I am not saying nvidia is that great, but imagine my disappointment, that I am running a supported linux distro, and firefoc is not even working right.

Cynical, I like to make this statement.

AMD SUSE and or firefox most have great programmers, that they can make my pc slow with a webbrowser.....

What drivers are you using? Upgrade to fglrx 10.12, it's quite a bit better all around.

The 10.12 driver is exactly the same for me as every previous release - just double the download size. I am not "seeing" the extra size do anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    The 10.12 driver is exactly the same for me as every previous release - just double the download size. I am not "seeing" the extra size do anything...
    download size then you are happy with the catalyst 11.2/11.3 thats because the size goes down to 50-60mb

they remove the r300/r500 parts and put the xorg versions together.

this saves 60-70mb