Thread: Oracle Releases MySQL 5.5 With Many Improvements

Default Oracle Releases MySQL 5.5 With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Oracle Releases MySQL 5.5 With Many Improvements

One of the open-source projects that Oracle is keeping around from Sun Microsystems is MySQL and just in time for the holidays they have put out the MySQL 5.5 release. The general availability release of MySQL 5.5 brings many new features to this popular database server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODkxNw

I would really like to try this out on my Ubuntu box, but I can't find any packages for 5.5.x yet. I don't know enough about packaging to update the script from 5.1, because they switched from GNU automake to cmake. Does anyone know when it might be available for Ubuntu?

?

I thought that oracle decided to drop the project ? I missed something here..

Quote Originally Posted by Elyotna View Post
    ?

Do you have a link to where Oracle announced "dropping" MySQL? Maybe I missed something, but I never read such a thing.

There was nothing from oracle saying that they were going to cancel it, it is just speculative that oracle will end up doing something evil, because that is what they tend to do. On the other hand, pulling in Sun may have brought in enough friendliness to push oracle into being more friendly in their relationships with the open source community.... hope for the best, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyotna View Post
    ?

You certainly missed something.
    Oracle had to promise the European Commission to keep developing MySQL before they could acquire Sun.
    Oracle will at least invest $24M each year in the next three years and they will release a version 6 of the community version of MySQL.