Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve's Alien Swarm Game For Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Michael has mentioned several times that he has a reliable inside source within Valve telling him these things, he just can't mention the guy's name in public. Whether you believe Michael or not is up to you, but I'd say it's much better than a rumor. What I wouldn't have done was started claiming it was "official" like Phoronix did, because it's still unofficial until it's publicly announced.
    Indeed. That's my main beef with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    I can confirm that you and phoronix are just talking bollocks, and this is really all about raking in as much ad dollars as possible. I got this info from a highly reliable source. The source wishes to remain anonymous though, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
    Riight. I know for a fact that he's done this once before and I questioned him much like you guys are doing right now. However, the AMD stuff he was going on about in the same manner DID come to pass- and a bit later than he claimed. Now, before you dismiss this...Michael DID use things in recent times like an internal Codename for the driver codebase that only people within ATI/AMD or those NDAed before the release of the Windows drivers when Vista rolled out would've known about.

I'm willing to sit back and see if he's right again.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Uh... If that's the quality of your information from your sources...I would be inclined to believe that it's not coming. Seriously.
    if my quality is like the quality of the LGP DRM server then yes worst

PhysX was available on Linux- you just didn't have the drivers for the hardware acceleration part of the API- which is all PhysX is. That card they were selling? That was a PhysX accelerator.
    last time i play an physX game it runs in wine right CPU only(amd card).

physX for linux is just worst because x87 code no multicore and nvidia only on the gpu

Heh... It was already ported Qaridarium. It never got shipped because of issues between icculus and Epic- but it was already running and didn't NEED 3.3. Get your info right, please...
    my info is right just because UT3 need vertex texture fetch VTF and an vanilla OGL2.1 can't handle this you need OGL3 or extensions but for exampel dx9 amd hardware can not handle VTF

thats just an exampel.

if the game runs on 2.1+extensions this means the game do not run on 2.1 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    I can confirm that you and phoronix are just talking bollocks, and this is really all about raking in as much ad dollars as possible. I got this info from a highly reliable source. The source wishes to remain anonymous though, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
    dollars... i don't get any single penny/cent/pfennig

in your logic i'm telling you trueness because i'm a poor man without getting any Dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    Yes, Wayland is likely to be how things are - but we can't say it with 100% certainty. Might be something stopping it later, or it may be deemed unsuitable due to [insert whatever here]. Just learned to wait until things are in actual shape to start being widespread before claiming that everyone will adopt it.
    Yeah, damn media tried to sell me Betamax and HD-DVD :P

Quote Originally Posted by byteframe View Post
    It's ok, wine is fine.
    But whiskey's quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Umm, nope, UT3 engine was designed for DX9 hardware as well which should be covered by OGL 2.1
    ogl2.1=dx9BBBBB UT3 is designed for DX9CCCCCCCCC+VTF thats in FACT OGL3!

because you can not run it on dc9 hardware like an X1950

Again not true. UT3 could use Physx. It was not a requirement. In fact IIRC the physx enabled levels had to be downloaded and were not part of the actual release. Also Physx is available for linux. In fact LGP even released a game utilizing it. Shadowgrounds.
    http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/info.php?id=41&
    physX runs yes but on the most pc's singlecore only and old X87code only.

in fact pysX is shit!

What? UT3 has been running in wine for a long long long time. Even the demo was playable in wine way back then.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=5937
    ut3 comes out 2006 wine does a shit 2006 about ut3

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    my info is right just because UT3 need vertex texture fetch VTF and an vanilla OGL2.1 can't handle this you need OGL3 or extensions but for exampel dx9 amd hardware can not handle VTF

thats just an exampel.

if the game runs on 2.1+extensions this means the game do not run on 2.1 at all.
    Dude I can tell you for a fact that that UT3 was running fine in early 2008 on wine on a 8800GT.

ut3 comes out 2006 wine does a shit 2006 about ut3
    UT3 came out November of 2007. Again get your facts straight.

ogl2.1=dx9BBBBB UT3 is designed for DX9CCCCCCCCC+VTF thats in FACT OGL3!
    UT3 could be even ran on a 6200 and even an ATI 9600.