Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: An Exclusive Preview Of Unigine's OilRush Game

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by binstream View Post
    Can you suggest one?
    AFAIU, some ISP offer this service for free with your account. Else, www.megaupload.com (allows to use wget and should allow up to 400MB download for everybody). Vimeo allows downloading of the uploaded file for the first week after original upload from a free account, and their quality is better than Youtube but their player is so FUBAR in Linux I wouldn't recommend it ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by binstream View Post
    Windowed mode doesn't grab your mouse, you can still use other applications. Alt+Tab works in Windows, but we still haven't implemented it in Linux because there is way too much different DEs with different key bindings.
    Great for not grabbing the mouse, this would allow maximizing the windows and still being able to switch between desktops.

    I'm not sure about DE, don't they all use ALT-TAB? Some Linux games also use ALT-ENTER for switching between fullscreen and windowed mode, Video players also use those shortcuts.

    As for other shortcuts, Svartalf or icculus should know more about that. i never understood how, but some games manage to only grab the keypresses they need (those you affect to an action in the game), leaving the rest usable by the DE. Others, like X3, grab everything and you've got to exit the game and restart each time you need to adjust the global sound volume.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    AFAIU, some ISP offer this service for free with your account. Else, www.megaupload.com (allows to use wget and should allow up to 400MB download for everybody). Vimeo allows downloading of the uploaded file for the first week after original upload from a free account, and their quality is better than Youtube but their player is so FUBAR in Linux I wouldn't recommend it ;-)
    Just torrent the HD footage. They are already running their own tracker for the unigine benchmarks.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Just torrent the HD footage. They are already running their own tracker for the unigine benchmarks.
    Torrent is good, but they'll use more of their bandwidth (so depends how much they pay for it) and it's more suited for stuff you want to make available for a long period of time. DDL is more straightforward (simple upload, nothing to setup or check) and cheaper for stuff you only need to make available for a short amount of time to a lot of people (basically the few days following the relative Phoronix news article).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Torrent is good, but they'll use more of their bandwidth (so depends how much they pay for it) and it's more suited for stuff you want to make available for a long period of time. DDL is more straightforward (simple upload, nothing to setup or check) and cheaper for stuff you only need to make available for a short amount of time to a lot of people (basically the few days following the relative Phoronix news article).
    They won't necessarily use more of their bandwidth. To establish a good swarm you can realistically get one going quite efficiently with usage of superseeding. Many of those DDL sites restrict the size of the data that can be downloaded as well.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Alternatively, since it is gaming footage, put it up on one of the many gaming demo hosting sites.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    They won't necessarily use more of their bandwidth. To establish a good swarm you can realistically get one going quite efficiently with usage of superseeding. Many of those DDL sites restrict the size of the data that can be downloaded as well.
    400MB is more than enough, it's not like you're making a 2 hours movie of the game. A decent footage of a few minutes would take 100 or 200MB at most.

    As I said, both solutions are valid, but each better as solving a different problem. DDL is very good for those kind of uses, since you can upload videos fast and easily, and as fast and easily nuke them when you replace them with more recent videos of improved engine or gameplay (whithout upsetting people that are still in the middle of downloading them). It's also very good for promotion, since you want to make it as fast and easy to access your promotional data - it's the same reason as why setting up easier ways to purchase a product increases sales ( la Amazon single click purchases).

    All in all, still don't understand why you're so bent on dismissing it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    All in all, still don't understand why you're so bent on dismissing it.
    Because "all in all" hitting daily DL limits, wait times, bandwidth restrictions on a DDL service such a megadownloads suck ass. (not to mention the 10 million scam sites that like to pretend they are an official download site for the service).

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    396

    Default

    keep it under 2 minutes and a half if its a preview or demo

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    396

    Default

    i think there was a small typo in the user manual. I think they meant "sell a tower" or a different phrase.

    http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...ush_manual_lrg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •