Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 catalyst news:tearfree,weight loss,h264Flash acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Yeah, especially when the team AMD setup is three people waiting for a fourth...
    no they search 3 new one for the OS team and not 1 more.

Question 1: What kind of drugs/meds are you on?
    Question 2: Can I have some?

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Question 1: What kind of drugs/meds are you on?
    Question 2: Can I have some?
    I realize this is meant to be funny but as I know Q he will give you a list for your first question and will agree with the second.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I realize this is meant to be funny but as I know Q he will give you a list for your first question and will agree with the second.
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    I'm sure you're aware that the closed source team is larger.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Any clue as to how many closed source devs are in the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. Any clue as to how many closed source devs are in the team?
    By accident I just stumbled across this interview from yesterday with Terry Makedon (head of the catalyst team), were the answer is given:

How many people does it take to bring out monthly Catalyst drivers?

I don't have exact numbers but it is in the multiple hundreds. The one bit of trivia I do know is that at AMD we had roughly the same number of hardware engineers as we did software engineers. So as many people that it takes to design and build a GPU - you need that many more people to architect, write, and test the drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    2011 catalyst news:tearfree,weight loss,h264Flash acceleration

yes 2011 is funny time we got a light weight cytalyst because they put out the r300-r500 part and they put the xorg bin versions together.

and we got tear-free desktop and surprise surprise finally we got h264 codex gpu acceleration in flash.

and maybe we got an Adobe Creative Suite Linux version

http://www.golem.de/1012/80235.html
    So you're saying the driver should work somewhere close to correctly sometime in 2011? That's good news, maybe less people will be turned off by trying to use linux on ATi hardware after reading crap spewed by shills around here.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_driver View Post
    So you're saying the driver should work somewhere close to correctly sometime in 2011? That's good news, maybe less people will be turned off by trying to use linux on ATi hardware after reading crap spewed by shills around here.
    Maybe when "people will be turned off by trying to use linux on ATi hardware after reading crap spewed by shills around here" ATI will come up with a fully working driver.

Well the usual timeframe to fix a bigger bug is something around 11-12 month. Just the xv bug has not been fixed since "invented" with the r600 hardware. I do not test other bugs, but i don't think that all will be happy with at a given time. I don't think that nvidia users are 100% happy all the time, but the bugs are less critical in most cases. The new flash plugin with vdpau support however exposed some vdpau bugs in combination with older xservers which are not yet fixed, but that's a theoretical problem for ati users

Quote Originally Posted by -EaS- View Post
    By accident I just stumbled across this interview from yesterday with Terry Makedon (head of the catalyst team), were the answer is given:

How many people does it take to bring out monthly Catalyst drivers?

I don't have exact numbers but it is in the multiple hundreds. The one bit of trivia I do know is that at AMD we had roughly the same number of hardware engineers as we did software engineers. So as many people that it takes to design and build a GPU - you need that many more people to architect, write, and test the drivers
    That depends, or to put it more simple... How many ATi software devs, are needed to screw a light bulb?