Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 5850 with Radeon OSS success

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    there is a s3tc sourcecode to.
    Sourcecode? I only know there is a binary library flying around the internets so far. Source code for libs3tc?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Exactly. OpenGL opensource stack is delivering 1/6 of card possiblities at best.

Right now, when you buy AMD card, you pay for windows driver development.

There is no way of signaling them "Hey, I use opensource, please put my money from driver percentage from card cost to opensorce team, hire more developers".
    I do agree that

a) The OpenGL support in the free drivers is poor at best
    b) AMD could and should spend more money on free driver development
    c)

I do feel an immense desire to point out that:

a) RedHat contribes a whole lot to kernel development in general and driver development.
    b) Ubuntu contribes nothing to any major project and in many cases only make precompiled packages (no source) available for their supposedly GPL addons
    c) If Ubuntu had contributed anything near what RedHat does then we'd be alot better off
    d) If Ubuntu had contributed as much as RedHat compared to their market share then we'd be doing great.

I'm just saying that if the major distros actually decided to work as much upstream as RAT (which fell 5% today for some reason) then AMD could probably dump the documentation and chill out with a cup of tea and we wouldn't need them to submit any code at all.

Sourcecode? I only know there is a binary library flying around the internets so far. Source code for libs3tc?
    no there is no binary only a sourcecode you need to build it for your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Until you try to fire up a game.
    warzone2100 and nexuiz work well.

Exactly. OpenGL opensource stack is delivering 1/6 of card possiblities at best.

Right now, when you buy AMD card, you pay for windows driver development.

There is no way of signaling them "Hey, I use opensource, please put my money from driver percentage from card cost to opensorce team, hire more developers".
    Every now and then somebosy comes along and posts somethig valuable. I salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by xiando View Post
    I do agree that

a) The OpenGL support in the free drivers is poor at best
    b) AMD could and should spend more money on free driver development
    c)

I do feel an immense desire to point out that:

a) RedHat contribes a whole lot to kernel development in general and driver development.
    b) Ubuntu contribes nothing to any major project and in many cases only make precompiled packages (no source) available for their supposedly GPL addons
    c) If Ubuntu had contributed anything near what RedHat does then we'd be alot better off
    d) If Ubuntu had contributed as much as RedHat compared to their market share then we'd be doing great.

I'm just saying that if the major distros actually decided to work as much upstream as RAT (which fell 5% today for some reason) then AMD could probably dump the documentation and chill out with a cup of tea and we wouldn't need them to submit any code at all.
    Directly, Ubuntu has done nothing for FOSS or the community as a whole but rather Ubuntu itself. Thier new font which is very nice is called Ubuntu. I'd like to see a Debian user installing a font called Ubuntu...
    Undirectly, Ubuntu has brought people to Linux and this is what will eventually sway things in our favor.

Besides that, I hate Ubuntu - stability and being free of bugs is king with me. They never give you a bug fix but rather hold until the next release which will replace old bugs with shiny new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Directly, Ubuntu has done nothing for FOSS or the community as a whole but rather Ubuntu itself. Thier new font which is very nice is called Ubuntu. I'd like to see a Debian user installing a font called Ubuntu...
    Undirectly, Ubuntu has brought people to Linux and this is what will eventually sway things in our favor.

Besides that, I hate Ubuntu - stability and being free of bugs is king with me. They never give you a bug fix but rather hold until the next release which will replace old bugs with shiny new ones.
    So are you using bug-free Debian, Fedora or OpenSuSE (or however they capitalize it these days)? Or are you one of those Gentoo freaks?

@xiando: developing OpenGL drivers is a task that falls as much on Ubuntu/Canonical as it does on you. When was the last time you submitted a patch to mesa?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    So are you using bug-free Debian, Fedora or OpenSuSE (or however they capitalize it these days)? Or are you one of those Gentoo freaks?

@xiando: developing OpenGL drivers is a task that falls as much on Ubuntu/Canonical as it does on you. When was the last time you submitted a patch to mesa?
    Debian Squeeze. About to be declared the new stable release. Debian Stable is just that good. Gentoo people are ricers. They see themselfs as some sort of secret society.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    warzone2100 and nexuiz work well.
    Native Linux games don't count.

Only Amiga, Windows 7 and iPad TouchMe games count, because this is Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    When was the last time he had 30,000,000 in revenue each year from selling Mesa?