Thread: A Xonotic Preview Release Comes For Christmas

Default A Xonotic Preview Release Comes For Christmas

Phoronix: A Xonotic Preview Release Comes For Christmas

In March of this year Nexuiz was forked as Xonotic following some disagreements among the Nexuiz developers and other contributors following the announcement of the Nexuiz commercial game. Since that point not too many details have emerged on Xonotic aside from it being said this new game would be a lot different. Well, the wait for finally seeing what's in store for Xonotic is now over. Maik Merten, the former Nexuiz co-leader, has written to us informing us they have just released Xonotic 0.1 Preview...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk1MQ

Laugh if you want, but stuff like this makes me happier than the actual christmas presents I get. I loved Nexuiz but I didn't love some parts of the project. Xonotic fixes those parts.

this is why i love open source.

But if the new nexuiz is competitive i might buy it

The new Nexuiz doesn't have anything to do with the original Nexuiz besides its name and it is not coming for the PC anyway.

What!? I thought the commercial version was based off nexuiz, at least the engine?

It was initially based on Darkplaces (Nexuiz engine), but they switched to the Unreal Engine now AFAIK.

Just played some rounds of Xonotic and damn this is the best open source shooter I have ever played. Graphics and performance are not even comparable to the latest Nexuiz release. Really, really excellent first release.

I always considered Xonotic as some kind of rant against the move Nexuiz had, never expected anything serious from it (seemed like a community project with too many me-too guys), but alas, the have proven me wrong, and I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Xonotic Preview Release Comes For Christmas

In March of this year Nexuiz was forked as Xonotic following some disagreements among the Nexuiz developers and other contributors following the announcement of the Nexuiz commercial game. Since that point not too many details have emerged on Xonotic aside from it being said this new game would be a lot different. Well, the wait for finally seeing what's in store for Xonotic is now over. Maik Merten, the former Nexuiz co-leader, has written to us informing us they have just released Xonotic 0.1 Preview...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk1MQ
    1.3GB, and just started downloading.

Still, found this thread over at http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1635278

Yes, slow paced fps are rare. The closest in Linux I know of is Urban Terror, which has no peer when it comes too slow paced fun and excellent team play. However, when it comes to fast beautiful gaming Nexuiz is very nice.

Still downloading... 150MB left...

Merry Xonotic!

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    It was initially based on Darkplaces (Nexuiz engine), but they switched to the Unreal Engine now AFAIK.
    I thought it was Cryengine 3: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/nexuiz...engine-3/2302/