Thread: Linux 2.6.37 Kernel Released

Default Linux 2.6.37 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.37 Kernel Released

The stable Linux 2.6.37 kernel has now been released. This is the Linux kernel that incorporates Broadcom's new WiFi driver, proper Intel Sandy Bridge support, Btrfs file-system improvements, many open-source graphics DRM/KMS updates, and much more...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk3OQ

Is "The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders" patch included in this kernel? See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?ite...2&page=article to know what I mean

And does it have Transparent Hugepage Support?

That much loved patch is coming with 2.6.38 only. You can still apply it yourself I believe, if you feel like it.

Isnt the BKL (Big Kernel Lock) almost removed in this release? If so, then Linux maybe finally can start to scale ok.

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    Isnt the BKL (Big Kernel Lock) almost removed in this release? If so, then Linux maybe finally can start to scale ok.
    The BKL is not being used by most parts of the kernel for a long time now. The few parts that remained are not performance-sensitive. So there won't be any performance increase. Furthermore, the remaining parts that were using it now switched to mutexes, and that means they still won't execute kernel code in parallel. The BKL is being removed simply for cleaning up the kernel a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    Every time you mention poor scaling, you're always comparing 3-4 year old kernels anyway, so I'm not sure what difference it would make to you.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    That much loved patch is coming with 2.6.38 only. You can still apply it yourself I believe, if you feel like it.
    Thanks for the information. That's probably why I couldn't find it mentioned in the Release Notes, but just wanted to be sure