Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black stripes on the sides because of wrong resolution

Default black stripes on the sides because of wrong resolution

hi a frend has the problem that the standart resulution is not the nativ one of the flat screen TV and this does as a resolut that he hat black stripes on all sides.

the tv only zoom lower resolutions so he need to turn down the resolution every start and the system does not hold the lower resolutions.

but the problem with the nativ resolution is the bigger problem.

the graphik driver radeon does not check the true resolution correctly.

i ad the Xorg.0.log and dsmeg infos to my bug report:

http://pastebin.com/AiTePcW7

http://pastebin.com/q787LB5Q

Lots of TV's overscan by default so the driver compensates for it; but yours does not. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if the TV overscans or not by default. Solution is to disable underscan:
    xrandr --output DVI-0 --set underscan off

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Lots of TV's overscan by default so the driver compensates for it; but yours does not. Unfortunately there's no way to tell if the TV overscans or not by default. Solution is to disable underscan:
    xrandr --output DVI-0 --set underscan off
    ok thank you "xrandr --output DVI-0 --set underscan off " works... but this isn't a solution because after a restart the same problem is there again..

on every start drop down the solution to 1366x768 brings the same result.

is there any permanent solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Since xrandr has been designed by geniuses who think persistent preferences are for idiots, you have to run this command every time. You can try running it in a script in ~/.kde/Autostart/ or maybe ~/.config/autostart.
    o man this sucks so hard.., but thaK you..

Since xrandr has been designed by geniuses who think persistent preferences are for idiots, you have to run this command every time. You can try running it in a script in ~/.kde/Autostart/ or maybe ~/.config/autostart.

If you're looking for a GUI that remembers the setting, no. This is the X.Org guys we're talking about here, a bunch of people who make GUIs possible but have no clue on how to actually do anything that has a GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post

If you're looking for a GUI that remembers the setting, no. This is the X.Org guys we're talking about here, a bunch of people who make GUIs possible but have no clue on how to actually do anything that has a GUI.
    ok thank you Success my frend is happy with the autostart skript version

1 more happy amd opensource customer.

The gnome and kde randr display applets save and restore your display setup, it should be pretty easy to add support for displaying and saving xrandr output properties as well. You could even add support for Xv attributes. Patches welcomed.

Is there a logical reason for this default? In most cases you can configure the tv correctly, so this should be optional. I think even the win driver works that way when a full hd device is used via hdmi, nvidia however definitely does NOT use this default.

Underscan by default is a bad idea, and will get even more irritating as time goes on.

At the local PC shops here in Tokyo, 90% of the monitors are 1080p panels. Like it or not, 1920x1080 has become the standard size. Manufacturers can easily share panels between monitors and TVs.

NONE of the various new 16x9 LCD panels I've used underscan by default. Why isn't the output 1-to-1? Why scale the picture and output a small blurry bordered image? It doesn't make sense to me. Should users of new equipment then be forced to enable overscan, further resulting in scaling degradation, instead of getting a 1-to-1 image? It's 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    Underscan by default is a bad idea, and will get even more irritating as time goes on.

At the local PC shops here in Tokyo, 90% of the monitors are 1080p panels. Like it or not, 1920x1080 has become the standard size. Manufacturers can easily share panels between monitors and TVs.

NONE of the various new 16x9 LCD panels I've used underscan by default. Why isn't the output 1-to-1? Why scale the picture and output a small blurry bordered image? It doesn't make sense to me. Should users of new equipment then be forced to enable overscan, further resulting in scaling degradation, instead of getting a 1-to-1 image? It's 2011.
    i think unterscan is the default because all displays show a desktop on this setting the non unterscan one only have black stripes on the sides so you can fix this by a script.

if you have an unterscan tv you maybe got an black screen if you get an non unterscan signal.