Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GameTree Linux Is Trying To Be Its Own Steam-Like Platform

Hybrid View

Default GameTree Linux Is Trying To Be Its Own Steam-Like Platform

Phoronix: GameTree Linux Is Trying To Be Its Own Steam-Like Platform

This morning we reported on the soft announcement that TransGaming would be replacing Cedega with something known as GameTree Linux. Not much information was available at the time, just that it was built upon Cedega technology, would replace the subscription-based Cedega Gaming Service, and would be distributed as a free program. Now though a few more details have come to light...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk5Ng

Steam is still coming to Linux with the Source Engine, which will immediately jump to the front, and Desura is also looking at possibly offering a Linux client too of its digital distribution system.

I am still amazed how sure you are about Steam coming to Linux, however if you go to desura.com you get a banner at the top saying they "are" working on a linux client and you can be notified. So I do see desura appear on linux before steam right now.

Steam is still coming to Linux with the Source Engine [...]
    Yeah, I'm with Xilanaz (and probably everyone else) on this one. Last I knew, Valve had explicitly denied working on a Linux port at this time.

Really, Michael, this is supposed to be journalism, isn't it? Let's have some sources.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeEttin View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Xilanaz (and probably everyone else) on this one. Last I knew, Valve had explicitly denied working on a Linux port at this time.

Really, Michael, this is supposed to be journalism, isn't it? Let's have some sources.
    Valve denied working on it when there's clearly a steam client for linux out there. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKoala View Post
    Valve denied working on it when there's clearly a steam client for linux out there. Just saying...
    Uh...no...they gave an answer that denied working on it at that time. BIG difference there. It's the typical PR non-committal answer you should expect when they've got plans, but they're not completed yet. A denial would have been, "No we're not working on it and won't be for the forseeable future"- which isn't what they gave everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Uh...no...they gave an answer that denied working on it at that time. BIG difference there. It's the typical PR non-committal answer you should expect when they've got plans, but they're not completed yet. A denial would have been, "No we're not working on it and won't be for the forseeable future"- which isn't what they gave everybody.
    Hmm... I seem to remember another company that appears often on this forum that seems quite like this... Cough, cough, ATI/AMD, cough. I swear, some people are going to flip for things that happen with a certain driver with this month's release.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeEttin View Post

If you read this site long enough you quickly disabuse yourself of the notion that Michael is a journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    ... however if you go to desura.com you get a banner at the top saying they "are" working on a linux client and you can be notified.
    I was also excited to see that banner on the top when I joined! Unfortunately, going to their forums in this thread, it seems the actual status is more like "thinking about doing it, when it makes sense", than "we are working on it"..

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Steam will support Linux before them

On that same note, Valve really should be picking up steam on linux seeing as Desura seems to be jumping on it. (pun intended)

With both GameTree and Desura on Linux this might just give Valve the incentive it needs.
    Well, heres for hoping anyway.