Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

    Phoronix: Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

    While Mesa 7.10 was just released, there's already been some work beginning to land in the mainline Mesa code-base for the ATI Radeon Gallium3D drivers to improve the performance...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk5OQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merida
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    r300g seems rather stable in most situations, so any performance gains are welcomed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Yeah, I wonder how well r300g/c compare to Catalyst 9.3. I know we've had that r600g comparision recently, but the r300 drivers seem much more mature and prolly have seen more optimization as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Yeah, if only r300g was any usable on my laptop with an Xpress 200m, instead of displaying fuzzy random horizontal lines...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBrain View Post
    Yeah, I wonder how well r300g/c compare to Catalyst 9.3. I know we've had that r600g comparision recently, but the r300 drivers seem much more mature and prolly have seen more optimization as well.
    The last comparison i saw had it between 50-60%. With the recent optimizations Marek has committed I'd guess we might be over 60% now. It would be an interesting test for Michael to run again. Especially if he could do it on a couple machines - one with a really fast CPU and another with something much slower, to see if the driver is CPU limited.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    448

    Default Don't forget that r300g covers a very broad hardware spectrum

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    The last comparison i saw had it between 50-60%.
    r300g covers old R300 chips all the way up to more recent R535+. And it must be difficult to get meaningful comparisons anyway, when Catalyst 9.3 is only compatible with horribly outdated X servers.

    Personally, I'm much more impressed with the functionality and stability of r300g than I ever was with the Catalyst drivers, even if r300g's 3D performance has not yet been optimised.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    r300g covers old R300 chips all the way up to more recent R535+. And it must be difficult to get meaningful comparisons anyway, when Catalyst 9.3 is only compatible with horribly outdated X servers.
    I think a comparison would still be useful. Even if other components have helped to speed-up r300g we'd still be able to confirm that there is room for improvement.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    625

    Default

    There is always room for improvements. ATI were developing their proprietary driver with a huge budget for 8 years I think? We can't surely compete with that, we can only get closer to its speed...

    I think Dave Airlie compared performance between r300g and fglrx some time ago and the numbers weren't very good. I can only say that there has been some new optimizations added recently, so it's now probably better than it was.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    There is always room for improvements. ATI were developing their proprietary driver with a huge budget for 8 years I think? We can't surely compete with that, we can only get closer to its speed...

    I think Dave Airlie compared performance between r300g and fglrx some time ago and the numbers weren't very good. I can only say that there has been some new optimizations added recently, so it's now probably better than it was.
    Well you guys tried really hard and did a wonderful job. It's just too late. The military beat up people, sociopath lie constantly model doesn't work at these population levels. They'll kill a bunch of people this year and those people will simply drop out of the collective conciousness by not returning to source. Kind of like the 60's drop out but with teeth.
    Linux will likely get swallowed by apple in a couple years who will use python to spy on everybody.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    Give us some of that stuff you're smoking, dude.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •