Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    134

    Default

    for latest performance optimizations, what is the required Kernel for r300g?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Hmm, I noticed that KWin performance (4.6.0) goes down the drain after a while. When it first starts, everything is smooth and nice with 60FPS. After an hour or so, it drops to 20FPS when doing effects. After KWin is restarted, it's smooth again. After an hour, same problem again. Etc.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Hmm, I noticed that KWin performance (4.6.0) goes down the drain after a while. When it first starts, everything is smooth and nice with 60FPS. After an hour or so, it drops to 20FPS when doing effects. After KWin is restarted, it's smooth again. After an hour, same problem again. Etc.
    yeah,

    I kind of made the same observation with compiz

    at the beginning app-switching is faster than ever - but after some time it's slow as usual

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Srpska Republic, Bosnia&Herzegovina
    Posts
    108

    Default

    There are a number of commits pushed a few minutes ago. Maybe this will solve the issue:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ac146d66bcd923

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    637

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by pejakm View Post
    There are a number of commits pushed a few minutes ago. Maybe this will solve the issue:

    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ac146d66bcd923
    thanks to Mr. Paul !

    if those were leaks they indeed could be fixed

    I'll start the compiler asap - thanks for the info

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Nah, didn't help. The way for me to reproduce this, is by simply going to Google Images and search for something. Then hover the mouse over the images so that they get zoomed a bit. The more you do this, the more performance is lost in compositing. Closing Firefox does not fix it. Only logging out and back in again does.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Nah, didn't help. The way for me to reproduce this, is by simply going to Google Images and search for something. Then hover the mouse over the images so that they get zoomed a bit. The more you do this, the more performance is lost in compositing. Closing Firefox does not fix it. Only logging out and back in again does.
    Feels like a memory leak like that should be fairly easy to spot (since it's so consistent). But if it's some sort of tree degradation etc, it could be harder.

    Great to see performance improvements by numbers that big!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    637

    Default

    another way (for me) to get a significantly declined performance

    is to use suspend-to-ram

    after waking up compositing is really really slow

    restarting X ("zapping") helps as a temporary fix

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Same here. Though I suspend to RAM by mistake because of the stupid KDE bug that forgets about me having changed the "Sleep" shortcut every time I log in

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •