Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Some questions about eyefinity

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
    With multiple monitors, the width of the desktop is the sum of the widths of the various monitor resolutions while the height is the largest height among your various monitors resolution.
    sure


    Quote Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
    In most cases, rotating one monitor to portrait causes the desktop size to increase.
    This increase in desktop size is what leads to the slow down that you experienced.
    No. Handling 50% more pixels can not reasonably cause a slowdown of factor 10 or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
    With the setup you are planning on getting I would recommend a card with 2Gb.
    I am already hit by slow 2D desktop performance, not even considering 3D.
    For 2D one screen takes 4 bytes (RGBA) * (2560 + 1200) * 1600 = 24 MB.
    A 8800 GT with 512 MB RAM should be just fine to handle this and still have room for back buffers etc. Under Windows 7 or Linux with UNROTATED displays, it definitely is.

    That's why I asked in the AMD section of the forum: does a setup like mine work good in 2D (3D/compiz would be nice to have) on AMD? As I may add my 3rd TFT to this display group AMD is also my first option compared to adding a 2nd NVidia card.

    Frank

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    332

    Default

    concerning wine and multimonitor setups.
    is there ANY way to efficiently lock the mouse cursor into the application window?
    games like warcraft 3 are especially problematic since its almost impossible to scroll on the borders of the window.
    i wrote a really hackish workarround for this, that resets the cursor into the window every few milliseconds but its not really satisfying.
    (sorry for hijacking this thread)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Nvidia can, my setup is 2560x1440 landscape plus 1200x1600 portrait on a 8800 GT.
    I'm running a setup very similar to yours: I have a rotated 20" 1200x1600 monitor on the left and a non-rotated 30" 2560x1600 to the right.

    Works fine BUT:

    This setup is dog slow (compared to NOT running a monitor in portrait mode or Windows 7). It seems like rendering on the 90 rotated screen is completely un-accelerated.
    Seeing it's not possible to get a single monitor rotated using Twinview I'm assuming you went the Xinerama route. Correct? The performance of Xinerama is as you point out terrible and it wasn't acceptable for me. What I did is switch to the open source Nouveau drivers; these support single monitor rotating just fine (using xrandr) and will support Compiz and the like too. Even most games should work (see: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a_nouveau_q111).


    I am already hit by slow 2D desktop performance, not even considering 3D.
    For 2D one screen takes 4 bytes (RGBA) * (2560 + 1200) * 1600 = 24 MB.
    A 8800 GT with 512 MB RAM should be just fine to handle this and still have room for back buffers etc.
    FWIW, I'm using this setup with a 7600GS which has 256MB and it works fine. (Kernel 2.6.36, Mesa 7.9, libdrm 2.4.22).

    Quote Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
    With multiple monitors, the width of the desktop is the sum of the widths of the various monitor resolutions while the height is the largest height among your various monitors resolution.
    This is a bit nitpicking but the above is not correct if you have one monitor placed higher than the other (e.g. above each other). A better way of putting it: "the largest square that will fit all your monitors".

    In most cases, rotating one monitor to portrait causes the desktop size to increase.
    This increase in desktop size is what leads to the slow down that you experienced.
    This is not what's causing the decrease in performance in this case. The problem is the closed source nVidia drivers do not support rotating a single monitor and therefore if you still want to you have to resort to Xinerama, which is really slow.

    @frank, if you need any help getting this setup using Nouveau I'd be happy to assist.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    I moved my dual monitor setup from a Nvidia 9500GT to an Ati 4850. Both monitors are 1920x1080, first monitor is rotated into portrait mode. Impressions:

    Positive (Ati):
    - acceleration (2d and 3d) works correctly
    - compiz works
    - video works
    - audio works
    - setup was trivial through amdcccle (catalyst) or the relevant ubuntu utility (radeon).
    - excellent support for custom video modes (catalyst), including 24p (which is great for video).

    Negative (Ati):
    - vsync doesn't work with fglrx at all. This is a known Ati issue, and is expected to be fixed in the 11.1 drivers.
    - vsync doesn't work on rotated monitors with radeon. This is a known driver issue.
    - the desktop expands to a single huge rectangle, meaning the mouse can move outside the visible area. This is a known X server issue and is expected to be fixed in an upcoming release.

    Positive (nvidia):
    - Xv uses PC color range (0-255) rather than TV range (15-229).

    Negative (nvidia):
    - rotation requires Xinerama, which disables hardware and video acceleration.
    - vsync doesn't work on rotated monitors at all. This is a known driver issue.
    - the open source drivers (nouveau) would become unstable with rotated monitors.

    Negative (both):
    - one monitor will always have incorrect subpixel antialiasing. This is a fontconfig/freetype/xft/whatever issue, because they fail to switch subpixel direction in accord to monitor rotation.

    All in all, I'm pretty happy with this setup. Ati works better than Nvidia here, as Nvidia requires Xinerama which sucks.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Negative (Ati):
    - the desktop expands to a single huge rectangle, meaning the mouse can move outside the visible area. This is a known X server issue and is expected to be fixed in an upcoming release.
    Does nVidia not have this problem? I thought it was an X issue that wasn't brand related.

    Thanks for your input, nice to hear from people who have experience with both ATI and nVidia.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylarr View Post
    Does nVidia not have this problem? I thought it was an X issue that wasn't brand related.

    Thanks for your input, nice to hear from people who have experience with both ATI and nVidia.
    It does, when you use TwinView. It doesn't, when you use Xinerama (which I used here). Unfortunately, Xinerama sucks so it's not a solution.

    Yeah, it's an X issue, should have been filed under "Negative (both)".

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylarr View Post
    Seeing it's not possible to get a single monitor rotated using Twinview I'm assuming you went the Xinerama route. Correct?
    yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylarr View Post
    What I did is switch to the open source Nouveau drivers; these support single monitor rotating just fine (using xrandr) and will support Compiz and the like too.
    Thank you, switching to Nouveau was the right advice.
    The desktop feels snappy again and apart from missing vsync and minor display (maybe redraw) issues I did not experience stability problems.
    kernel 2.6.37, gnome 2.32, no compiz (yet)

    btw:
    First I tried to adapt my xorg.conf but accidentially started without any xorg.conf into gnome 2.x and was impressed by how easy it was to set up, arrange and rotate the displays.

    Frank

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    lol, way to hijack my thread lads.

    Anyway, i've definitely been convinced to get a 1GB HD6850 to run my 3x22" LGs for a total desktop resolution of 5040x1050.

    Thanks all.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Bloody hell, this is harder than i'd hope it would be.

    Firstly i struggled to get my card to even detect so that aticonfig would make me a basic xorg.conf to work from. Then i finally got into X and it doesn't seem to want to keep my configuration(DFP2-DFP1-DFP3). It always starts mirrored although i can manually adjust it with xrandr fine.

    Getting wine to work correctly is being a major struggle, although i'm not sure if this is because i've set things up for my previous nvidia card that are interfering with the new card. Or if its just being a pita.

    I was able to get WoW to run, albeit in a separate X session, at 5040x1050 with highest settings and it seemed to run fine. But i have been completely unable to get EVE to run correctly, with it generally locking up at one of the login screens and often causing my system to become completely unresponsive requiring a hard reset.

    Can anyone point me to any good guides about the fglrx driver, preferably not ubuntu based guides as they rarely do want i require under gentoo?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novae View Post
    Bloody hell, this is harder than i'd hope it would be.
    Unfortunately you're not alone with this and AMD cards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Novae View Post
    Firstly i struggled to get my card to even detect so that aticonfig would make me a basic xorg.conf to work from.
    I had that issue a few releases back. At least for me this time with 11.1 that part worked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Novae View Post
    Then i finally got into X and it doesn't seem to want to keep my configuration(DFP2-DFP1-DFP3). It always starts mirrored although i can manually adjust it with xrandr fine.
    I struck this problem with 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Novae View Post
    Getting wine to work correctly is being a major struggle, although i'm not sure if this is because i've set things up for my previous nvidia card that are interfering with the new card. Or if its just being a pita.

    I was able to get WoW to run, albeit in a separate X session, at 5040x1050 with highest settings and it seemed to run fine. But i have been completely unable to get EVE to run correctly, with it generally locking up at one of the login screens and often causing my system to become completely unresponsive requiring a hard reset.

    Can anyone point me to any good guides about the fglrx driver, preferably not ubuntu based guides as they rarely do want i require under gentoo?
    This is what frustrates me about statements such as


    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    I recently swapped my Nvidia 9500GT for an Ati 4850 on my Linux workstation. To answer your questions: yes, eyefinity does what you want.

    In fact, it is superior to TwinView in most ways:
    - it supports xrandr and randr 1.3.
    - it reports correct refresh rates (Nvidia reports random rates)
    - it allows you to rotate one or more monitors into portrait mode, keeping the rest in landscape. Nvidia simply cannot do this.
    - it hotplugs new monitors as soon as you connect them. I've never managed to get Nvidia to detect a new monitor without running nvidia-config.

    I am seriously impressed! Ati's drivers have improved massively those past 12 months. VDPAU be damned, this is the first time I am actually happy with the state of graphics on Linux.

    Looking forward to the 11.1 drivers and the vsync fix.
    It makes it seem like all is great over here in AMD land and for that matter, better than in nVidia land.

    While there's things to be happy about in the new drivers, saying

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    it is superior to TwinView in most ways
    is doing a disservice to a lot of potential AMD users.

    Selling end users on AMD too early will possibly make them enemies of the brand and could actually be counter productive.

    Saying things like

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Ati works better than Nvidia here, as Nvidia requires Xinerama which sucks.
    Is O.K. when you clearly qualify your statements and make note of the specific scenarios it's relevant to.

    It seems odd to be highlighting the areas that nVidia is poor at to show how AMD is superior except that those areas are more edge case that the normal use case.

    When faced with a statement such as

    Quote Originally Posted by Novae View Post
    I assume eyefinity allows full 3d acceleration across the whole span? So i can run ultrawide games in wine?
    And being in the mood to highlight nVidia's short comings no matter how obscure they are, surely if you're being of independent mind as well as having the question askers best interests at heart instead of stupid brand loyalty you should have highlighted nVidia superiority with regards to wine no?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •