Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vista Makes Creative Labs Dupe Linux

I've tried 2.6.19-gentoo-r7 & gcc 3.4.6, because this is last release where function INIT_WORK use 3 parameters as used in Creative code. I can compile and build driver with some changes in include files(add #include linux/autoconf.h everywhere it uses kernel includes, #define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.19-gentoo-r7" in linux/version.h) Only bad thing is, that on insmod it has many unresolved symbols from alsa, so it will be some kernel among 2.6.10 and 2.6.19 hehe

soo... let's just assume creative sucks. what alternatives (probably cheaper than the razer) are there for us? i want good sound in linux/windows, and well... i'll let it cost me some money, not 200€ though. i'd rather go with onboard then.

Quote Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
    soo... let's just assume creative sucks. what alternatives (probably cheaper than the razer) are there for us? i want good sound in linux/windows, and well... i'll let it cost me some money, not 200 though. i'd rather go with onboard then.
    See this other discussion about the X-Fi and other ramblings about how good support you can expect for sound hardware on Linux.

Besides... there are plenty of alternative sound cards that are very well supported under LInux.
    Like?
    I have researched and will mention two possible supported sound cards:
    Audiophile (2496 for e.g.)
    Delta series

Anybody know of those? Is there any others of particular mention?

I am interested in a sound card for overall use and in particular, music creation (using instruments).

I was also thinking of M-Audio but doesn't Creative own them?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Like?
    I have researched and will mention two possible supported sound cards:
    Audiophile (2496 for e.g.)
    Delta series

Anybody know of those? Is there any others of particular mention?

I am interested in a sound card for overall use and in particular, music creation (using instruments).

Why don't you check the ALSA sound card support Matrix?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post

No, E-Mu is part of Creative, but in name only.
    As of three or four months ago a lot of the E-MU line is supported by ALSA.

I use the E-MU 1212M to A/D lots of vinyl & tape.

I'm not familiar with E-Mu products, but I don't think there's many products based off the X-Fi arch.

You're right, it's not based off the X-Fi.

A quote from ExtremeTech http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1562571,00.asp

"A Little Background"

"The E-MU crew designed the DSPs that have powered every Creative Sound Blaster sound card since Sound Blaster Live. The first DSP, dubbed the 10K1, featured two 64-voice hardware wavetable synthesizers, in addition to four simultaneous DSP effects in flight at once. Then E-MU produced a derivative processor from the original 10K1 design, the 10K2. 96KHz/24-bit playback was the most noteworthy new feature in this second-generation part."

You can read what Matrix Talk:Module-emu10k1 is saying here, http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...Module-emu10k1

Quote Originally Posted by MrCanard View Post
    You're right, it's not based off the X-Fi.

A quote from ExtremeTech http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1562571,00.asp

"A Little Background"

"The E-MU crew designed the DSPs that have powered every Creative Sound Blaster sound card since Sound Blaster Live. The first DSP, dubbed the 10K1, featured two 64-voice hardware wavetable synthesizers, in addition to four simultaneous DSP effects in flight at once. Then E-MU produced a derivative processor from the original 10K1 design, the 10K2. 96KHz/24-bit playback was the most noteworthy new feature in this second-generation part."

You can read what Matrix Talk:Module-emu10k1 is saying here, http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...Module-emu10k1
    Wow! Nice review, nice card... Will read that alsa-project link aobout the driver needed (from the looks of it is the snd-emu10k1 module), and the features available to the Linux drivers.

Then the first post is "half" correct then someone could simply use OSS, it is free - even available as source code. Does it work or not?

http://developer.opensound.com/