Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 117 of 117

Thread: The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    The were at least three popular (and deadbeat) jokes in there.

    Also if you'd pay attention in RL you will find out that people complain about each other time, so it's not a measure I'm going to feel terribly bothered about...

    If you would have talked about Gordie and his secret plan to take over AMD OSS graphics development and move it to a new crack team he has ready in his hidden mountain lair, that would have been funny. You can be the funniest comedian in the world and still go too far with a rip. e.g. Ricky Gervais

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GDJacobs View Post
    If you would have talked about Gordie and his secret plan to take over AMD OSS graphics development and move it to a new crack team he has ready in his hidden mountain lair, that would have been funny. You can be the funniest comedian in the world and still go too far with a rip. e.g. Ricky Gervais
    It's not the first time somebody has complained about Ricky Gervais. And yet I find him funny. Guess not everybody has the same taste. Who'd have thought!

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    448

    Cool I have preserved a link to this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by gordboy View Post
    If you do not ban Vincent from this forum forever, I will have no hesitation in contacting your provider, godaddy, and asking them to pull this site.
    Henceforth, every single post from Vincent in these forums will provide further evidence that gordboy is a troll and a fool.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    Henceforth, every single post from Vincent in these forums will provide further evidence that gordboy is a successful troll and a fool.
    Fixed.__________

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT
    The were at least three popular (and deadbeat) jokes in there.

    Also if you'd pay attention in RL you will find out that people complain about each other time, so it's not a measure I'm going to feel terribly bothered about...
    So, if people say you offended them, your reaction is to ignore it since "it happens all the time". I wonder what metric you use to regulate your behaviour and interaction with others. My guess is that, at least here, you rely on social acceptance and complicity--which you don't lack judging from comments from other posters. I just wanted to let you know that you don't count with mine on this one, however funny I may have found a number of your comments in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by Remco
    It's not the first time somebody has complained about Ricky Gervais. And yet I find him funny. Guess not everybody has the same taste. Who'd have thought!
    The important point is not how fun something may be for a group of people, but rather how offensive it may be for another.

    Anyway, don't you guys waste too much time about this issue. After all, this is Phoronix.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    So, if people say you offended them, your reaction is to ignore it since "it happens all the time". I wonder what metric you use to regulate your behaviour and interaction with others. My guess is that, at least here, you rely on social acceptance and complicity--which you don't lack judging from comments from other posters. I just wanted to let you know that you don't count with mine on this one, however funny I may have found a number of your comments in the past.



    The important point is not how fun something may be for a group of people, but rather how offensive it may be for another.

    Anyway, don't you guys waste too much time about this issue. After all, this is Phoronix.
    Amen to that!

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    The important point is not how fun something may be for a group of people, but rather how offensive it may be for another.
    I hear you. We had this discussion with the RMS joke, too. You convinced me there that it's important to consider that a joke harms people. But it's also important to keep in mind that everything (especially on the internet), is going to offend. I disagree that it's not important to consider that a joke is fun for people.

    Food for thought: have you ever thought about Stephen Colbert this way: he systematically bullies and makes fun of Bill O'Reilly. This is deeply offensive to Bill, and to a lot of conservatives. It's very funny to the rest of the world.

    Or how about this one: in a sketch Ricky Gervais makes fun of disabled people (or of how people treat disabled people). He's doing a sketch where he's bullying a stranger in a wheelchair (his paraplegic boss in real life). This generated some outrage, but also some comments by handicapped people who thought it was funny. I guess it rang true.

    Sorry for wasting more time on this, but I got nothing better to do.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •